storage space delima

I have a 1974 12' aluminum jon boat and have been restoring, well really I have just reset the rivets and painted it. I am now wanting to make some storage space; I have a toss up between making a deck on the front between the front two seats with a door, and cutting the top of the middle bench seat and using plywood with hinges to make a door.
There is problems with both designs though. The first one is my boat is only about 36 inches wide and not very stable on the water so walking to the front of the boat (for an anchor or lunch :D) wont be easy. The problem with the second one is making the structure of my boat very weak, well I am a big guy at 6' 2" and 250 lbs I need all the support I can get. This idea is also limited on space.
Has anyone on here done this to a similar boat? There are a lot of threads on both of these designs but none with this size boat. What do you guys think will be the best idea?

P.S. I plan on using aluminum angle as support riveting it to the bench seats with 1/4" plywood.

Shizzy

Ensign
Re: storage space delima

I have a 14' Alumacraft FD and I did just as you are saying. I made the deck out of 5/8 plywood that covers the two front seats, added a hinge and locking hasp. Im only 5'8" and 155lbs but it is quite stable with me standing up there casting. I also added a small compartment between the 2nd and 3rd seat on the port side. it is very nice having a spot to store your anchor, PFD's, rope etc.. One word of caution though, if you have a small engine EVERY ounce you add to the boat is going to slow you down.

what did you use to support the plywood between the seats... Do you have any pics?

Shizzy

Ensign

the plywood just sits over the two seats. its only a distance of avbout 2 feet. I dont have pics, but I can go take some

D

DJ

Your concerns are valid.

A 12' boat doesn't leave much capacity for customization.

I would be careful with a front deck. If you must, make it as low as possible.

The seat issue is not too bad. You can get around the support issue by adding supports along the sides fore/aft of the seat.

Shizzy

Ensign

Ill get some pics today. My garage has no power so Its too dark for pics and the weather hasnt been cooperating, but im taking it out today so Ill snap a few pics and post them.

Shizzy

Ensign

here are the pics. I have a 14' Alumacraft FD. for a small boat it is very stable. Im not sure how stable yours is though. I used 5/8 plywood over the two front seats and added hinges and a hasp. I covered it in some cheap I/O carpet I got from Menards. I have had my friend who is 6' 250lbs standing on it and its fine.

I also covered the other two seats with 1/2" plywood covered in the same carpet. I then built a simple compartment on the port side. I used 1/2" plywood and again covered it in carpet. this one is not for standing on, but I wanted to keep things light.

FYI, with my 6HP Johnson I did notice the boat speed is reduced a little, but the trade off for convinence makes it worth it. So be careful on how much weight you add. every ounce counts with such a small engine.

casting platform

IMG_1463.jpg

storage underneath

IMG_1464.jpg

here is the box

IMG_1462.jpg

as a side note I didnt bridge the gap between the other seats. I simply made a carpeted cover for the other two seats. The bare aluminum was uncomfotable and got too hot in the sun (I fish barefoot, lol)

Could you possible give me some more details on how you did the side compartment I would like to use that idea.You said that its not for standing on and its light weight, that is exactly what I want. Your boat looks great by the way. I have a flat bottom 12 ft jon boat so the casting deck would not be such a good idea but thanks for the great pics. By the how well does that anchor work in a spot with some strong current?

Shizzy

Ensign

I can snap some pics of the compartment tonight.

thats a 3lb canoe anchor that I use 90% of the time. it holds in most wind and a mild current. I also have a 12lb river anchor I use once in a while. with such a light boat the 3lb works fine. In fact I was thinking last night I may just pick up a 5lb canoe anchor and leave the 12lb in the truck.