Upper shift shaft seal in bell housing...

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is this a common area to cause a leak into the u-joint bellows? I'm guessing I should probably change the seals and bushing here while I've got things apart.

What's required to change these parts? I couldn't find an exact reference in the OEM service manual.

Thanks

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shift shaft seal in bell housing...

Ok, I found the procedures. Do I need to worry about the bottom bushing at all? It looks like just a bushing and not a watertight seal?

As far as the upper bushing would I need to the special tool to install anything?

Thanks

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I've had more time to inspect the bushing seals and sure enough the bottom seal on the upper bushing is shot. I guess this was letting water in.

I see a special tool required to install the bushing. Will I need this or can I make my own? I'm more concerned right now with removing the old bushings and seal. The manual does not cover this at all.

Thanks

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the old bushing and seals out after messing with it for a while before I figured out the easy way to do it. I don't think the special tool is necessary. A 1/2" socket fits the bore perfectly.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Upper shift shaft seal in bell housing...

Hey, answering your own questions now!! :D:D:D

As for a special tool to install the seal/bushing... I just use a bolt, nut and a bunch of washers... Sort of like a press.. Just squeeze it all together...

Chris........

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Upper shift shaft seal in bell housing...

Hey, answering your own questions now!! :D:D:D

Hehe gotta talk to someone about this neverending project. ;)

I'm a bit confused on reassembly though. I have the later style bushing and seal arrangement. I ended up popping the bushing out the top and the seals out the bottom. I think it would be easier to put them back in this way. Any problems with this?