Mercruiser Type I Lower "Woooooes"

LX Kid

Ensign
This is an '82 Grady White that I have been restoreing for the last two weeks. Can be seen in the "Restoration" forum. Finally got my tilt trim rebuilt and installed and seems to work fine. Also got all the new parts on my 305 V8 installed and it idles and runs great. (This is out of water testing) Now I've turned my attention to the outdrive and checking it out. At idle speed it does not go into gear in a quiet manner. I don't know how much inter-meshing noise is acceptable. The resevoir on the transom was empty when I got it so I filled it up and bled the line at the gear box. I have not as of yet checked the foot for lube or potential problems. Is their supposed to be a grinding noise when put in gear? Is their an adjustment or am I looking at a lot more money to repair? Thanks, Ron

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser Type I Shifting Question

Be sure to give it a firm shift - not slow. You don't want to "baby" it into gear. If it still grinds even with a firm, quick shift, then either the cable needs adjusting or something else is wrong.

BUT if you try and go slow, then yes, it will grind. Not good to do!

LX Kid

Ensign

Oh nooooooooo! Someone stick a fork in me cause I'm done!!!! Just went outside to take a look at the lower and found this crack. (See pics) I did'nt notice it when I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Looks like it happened from inside out. From my parts breakdown it appears to be in the area of the shift shaft bushing or forward gear bearing. Think it's repairable or not? Thanks, Ron
S6001053.jpg

S6001052.jpg

LX Kid

Ensign

Probably has a lot to do with the noiesy shifting. Anyone heard the meaing of the word BOAT: means "Bust Out Another Thousand!" Can someone give me some cheese to go along with my whinnnnnnnnne!!!!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

have ya whacked the prop off something recently?

LX Kid

Ensign

Nope! I've not had it into the water yet since I bought it. I've been restoring it for two weeks now. See my posting over in the Restoration forum.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

That crack is common on the older drives... In the front of the lower housing is a cavity, with a drain hole at the bottom... The hole blocks up and salt and rubbish accumulate in the cavity. Eventually that starts to expand and the only place for the expanding rubbish to go is out... Which is what you are seeing.. The internals of the drive have not been affected...

The 'noise' you are hearing when selecting gear is normal... These drives use a dog clutch... It's either in gear or out of gear... NEVER in between... When you decide to go into gear you go into gear, a quick firm movement... It's not like a cone clutch where you move it in gently....

If you really need to replace the drive I think iBoats sell the SEI drives... I have hear really good things about them and they are ridiculously cheap... I think a lower unit, complete, is about $650...

Chris...........

LX Kid

Ensign

Thanks Achris for the information. Is there anything that could be done for my lower to keep using it? Can the cavity be cleaned out and and welded up or would it just be better to replace the whole unit? I don't want to get thirty miles out and it konk out on me. Thanks, Ron

achris

... Can the cavity be cleaned out and and welded up?

Yes... And find a good welder who specializes in ali... Clean the cavity out properly and open up the drain hole (to about 1/4") so it doesn't block up again...

Good luck....

Chris.........

LX Kid

Ensign

Thanks Achris. What drain hole are you referring? I did'nt see any drain hole. Ron

achris

Thanks Achris. What drain hole are you referring? I did'nt see any drain hole. Ron

It's at the front of the drive, about 1" in and just above the 'torpedo'... on the starboard side... You may have to look real close as it's blocked up and will not be obvious...

LX Kid

Ensign

Found the drain hole and it was so plugged up it was almost flat with the outside surface. I'm assuming that when I drop the lower the cavity will be accesable for cleaning. Once cleaned out are there any epoxy's that could be used to make a patch over the crack? Maybe JB Weld or something like that? Grinding the surface for clean, bare metal. Ron

achris

Found the drain hole and it was so plugged up it was almost flat with the outside surface. I'm assuming that when I drop the lower the cavity will be accesable for cleaning.

Correct...

LX Kid said:
Once cleaned out are there any epoxy's that could be used to make a patch over the crack? Maybe JB Weld or something like that? Grinding the surface for clean, bare metal. Ron

I have never used any of the produces you're referring to... I have always had them welded... I'm sure one of those would work... What's the worst that could happen? The patch falls out and you either put more in or have it welded.

Chris......

LX Kid

Ensign
Re: Mercruiser Type I Lower "Woooooes"

Dropped the lower and it's at the welding shop. Welder is going to put new skeg and repair crack for $135. Need new seals on upper drive shaft. See pudded oil on top of sand packed cavity. Cleaned cavity out and dropped off at welder. Ron

S6001062.jpg

S6001061.jpg

LX Kid

Ensign

Wow! Dropped it off at the welders at noon and already picked it up! Will seal it and paint it tomorrow. Ron

S6001063.jpg

achris

Your oil leak is most likely the shift shaft seal... You'll need to do a pressure test on it...

The welding looks great... I'm impressed with the skeg too... :D:D
And don't forget to open out the drain hole a bit.;)

Chris..........
P.S. Can you post a photo of the top of the drive shaft? I'm curious..

LX Kid

Ensign

I'll have to do a picture tomorrow. What about the two seals where the drive shaft fits into the upper and the o-ring on the drive shaft? All the lube dripped down from the upper and drained my resovoir, which is attached on the inside of the transom. The shift shaft seal, in the lower, looks like it's in pretty good shape. The welder told me he tested the lower for pressure leaks with 2-3 pounds of air in a tank of water and saw no bubbles escaping from it. When I drained the lower, the lube was dirty but found no water, grit or metal in it. The cavity was packed to the rim with sand and muck but no oils in it. Cleaned the cavity ojut then used a 18" long 1/4" bit to clean out the final hole. Ron

achris

I'll have to do a picture tomorrow. What about the two seals where the drive shaft fits into the upper and the o-ring on the drive shaft?
I replace the lower of the 2 seals in the top box as a routine maintenance item. The upper of those 2 seals can only be replaced by stripping the box... You really don't need to do that just yet :D I also don't put the 'O' ring on the top of the driveshaft... It holds the lower seal open when you assembly the 2 halves... Merc removed the 'O' ring groove completely from later driveshafts.

LX Kid said:
All the lube dripped down from the upper and drained my resovoir, which is attached on the inside of the transom.
Exaclty like it should....

LX Kid said:
The shift shaft seal, in the lower, looks like it's in pretty good shape. The welder told me he tested the lower for pressure leaks with 2-3 pounds of air in a tank of water and saw no bubbles escaping from it.
That's good...

LX Kid said:
When I drained the lower, the lube was dirty but found no water, grit or metal in it. The cavity was packed to the rim with sand and muck but no oils in it. Cleaned the cavity out then used a 18" long 1/4" bit to clean out the final hole. Ron

Use Mercury High Performance Gear Oil for refilling... and fill from the bottom up..

Chris.......

gene8084

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This may help you get oriented ...​
click to enlarge
Lower Unit.jpg

achris

Nice exploded view of a 'pre-Alpha'... But we don't know that he has a pre-Alpha... That's why I asked for a picture of the top of the driveshaft. Tomorrow will reveal all....

Chris..........