where to catch the chain to lift my 305

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer
I saw at youtube.com a profesionalist who suggests to use a plate to bolt on carburator's place and grab the hook there.What is your opinion?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: where to catch the chain to lift my 305

I would have to guess that after the number of posts you have regarding your engine that somewhere along the way you receivced a link to the OEM manual for your engine. In that manual, it shows where to hook the chain.
Front and rear, NOT the one on the thermostat housing.
I personally wouldn't trust that carb plate setup.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The engine should have at least 2 lifting eyes so you'll get a straight pick. Use those, that's why they are there. You can use a chain or a lifting strap. Just 'cuz some dummy did it on utube, that don't make it safe. You get that engine up high, & the bolts snap, which they very well might, you'll really have some fun.

mthieme

Captain

Front and rear,

...of opposite sides of the intake manifold. Your engine may or may not have these lifting eyes already attached. If you're anywhere near 21122, I probably have some under my toolbox.

Agree - do not use the carb studs, they are smaller, do not use T-stat housing area, less metal.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you're anywhere near 21122

He lives in Greese, long way from 21122 ;)

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer

Don S
I've service manual #3.It states all the process of removal ,installation and alignment but it doesn't have a picture about removing the engine.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Use a 3/8" bolt in any of the many spots on either the end of the heads or block. There are many appropriate places.

Some have mentioned the lifting eye that is usually mounted on the engine. I have to confess I have used that... but apparently they are not designed to be used for that purpose.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I have good luck using a bolt hole on the front of one head and the rear of the other to bolt a chain across the engine with grade 5 or better bolts and a couple of big washers...