Johnson 175 FITCH...QUICK HELP!

Paulz01

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just looked at a 1982 Grady White WA with a 1998 Johnson 175 Fitch on the back. I have been hearing very bad things about this motor and when I confronted the seller about this, he knew what I was talking about and said that the problems have been fixed. He said that the 2000 upgrades were put on and that included a new head and other items. Does what he did rectify the problem or is this motor still not worth the money? The asking price for the boat is $6000

Paulz01

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Johnson 175 FITCH...QUICK HELP!

The batteries were dead on the boat so he's charging them up and im going by again later to hear it run so I need the help asap otherwise I am going to have to put this guy off until I find out if its worth the money. Also, how much should I offer? The hull is in decent shape, all solid. Just needs some bottom paint and light TLC.

sammy29926

Seaman Apprentice

hi,
If it was me i would not offer him more that $3500.. you can go to www.nada.com and get the value of the boat and outboard motor which i believe he already did and asking price is reflecting that.. With a soft economy and gallon of gas going up.. offer him $3500 and when he says no walk away... and see him in 30 days..
Sammy

Paulz01

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, but what about the motor? Does what he did to it correct OMC's mistakes?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

All 60 degree Ficht engines produced by OMC were potential problems, through their last production year of 1999. When Bombardier took over in 2000, they corrected the Ficht problems, but the bad image has been unfortunately tagged on all Fichts. Your 98 may or may not run for many years. Some are still running. A crap shoot. There were a number of service bulletin mods that were issued for these early Ficht engines. They did include heads, injector brackets, etc. If your subject engine has these mods, that is good. I would contact Bombardier's customer service phone number and ask them to run the serial number of the engine and see what mods have actually been done. The mods would have been factory issued and they will have a record. If there are mods open and still not performed for that engine serial #, I would not consider the purchase till all were completed. I'd insist on a compression check and a computer interrogation prior to purchase. If you do purchase it and ever want to sell it or trade it in, you will have a tough time, so make your offer accordingly.

Paulz01

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks.

Now you said that I should have a computer interrogation, how would I do this and what is this? Also, how would I run the serial numbers? Who would I call?

I really like this boat and would like to give an offer but his engine is a huge hold back.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Call your local Bombardier dealer. Make an appointment. He will download the info from the computer. Hours, faults, etc. He could perform the important compression check if you ask. The same dealer can contact Bombardier with the serial number and identify any mods, warranty work that has been performed on the engine. If you want to call direct with the serial number, you can contact Bombardier via the consumer phone number: 1-847-689-7090.

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice

My 1998 150 ficht blew twice with only 256 hours total on it. I was told by the marina that rebuilt it the first time that they modified the computer so as to not allow it to run to it's full potential. This ran it slower but it lasted a little longer. The silver lining is the fact that the lower unit is not a problem and you can bolt a carberated powerhead onto it if it ever blows on you. I put a 175 powerhead on my 150 ficht and I am happy. the 175 takes larger mounting bolts than a 150 but this is ok on you engine. Good luck if you buy...Darren Mac