johnson 33 not ideling well!

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer
I got it ruining after years of sitting! Someone told me to start the top needle at 1 1/2 turns out that doesn't work. If the throttle is all the way down it will shut off? Maybe it is int warm enough its just in a barrel of water. What do you think I can get it to run somewhat smooth with the throttle up a little but i don't think it would be good to shift at that idle?
Thanks Matt
Cleaned fuel pump, carb, new coils points condensers plug weirs kill switch harness ext. It played with the needle all over the place but it still happened?

56 rude

Banned
Re: johnson 33 not ideling well!

1 1/2 turns is too far out ,mine runs perfectly at 5/8 out for low speed jet and amazingly enough 1/2 turn out for the high speed needle.I just got back from a 70 mile round trip and had no problems atall ,none ,zero ,zilch ,nada!set points at .020 and plugs at .030.im using j4j champion plugs .Do you have a manual?Sync the ignition system and carb also.Though i like the 1950,s motors better the 33 is a nice motor with lots of torque.

56 rude

Banned

One other thing you might want to do and thats a decarb of the motor.I use Deep Creep penetrating oil.Pull plugs ,spray liberally into holes,reinstall plulgs and let sit for a hour or two.Start motor and enjoy the smoke show,this has the result of decarbenizing the motor.Also do not attempt to adjust your high speed in a barrel ,do it on a lake with a buddy if your using remote controls ,mines tiller drive so its easy for me alone.Hope ive been of some help and im sure some of the more knowledgable guys will chime in with helpful suggestions.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, i will try this i might be taking the boat out later today. Hopefully i get it going good.
Thanks Matt

56 rude

Banned

Be careful when doing the high speed adj as you dont want to blow your motor ,start rich and adjust in slowly till it starts to pick up then if you keep going in it will start to drop off then back out till it picks up again and you should be there.After youve run it for awhile you can pull the plugs and see if its running correctly .By after awhile i mean 1/4 mile or so ,its also always safer to err on the rich side than the lean side,but with some work you will get it running beautifully im sure.p.s make sure its pumping water as a failed impeller has been mistaken for poor running carbs etc also.MOST IMPORTENT!MAKE SURE ITS PUMPING WATER OR YOU WILL KILL YOUR MOTOR.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

yes i have a new impeller. im going to work on it the throttle roller is eaten up im going to put a pice of tape on it.
Matt