Wont start when cold

kevoleb

Recruit
I need a little guidence...
I just bought a 1975 85 hp Evinrude and the prior owner had to use starter fluid to get it to start the first start of the day, after that it starts great and runs great all day long.
Any suggestions as to where to start? the choke seems to be working good.
Or is there a special way to use the choke?
Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wont start when cold

The chokes have to be 100% fully closed when cranking for a cold start.

The only way to be sure they are fully closing is to take the cover off and watch the choke plates while holding the choke switch up and cranking. If they don't stay closed, they will not help.

If the choke plates are synchronized, you can adjust the closing by simply moving the solenoid in small increments to increase tension.

Once you have the chokes fully closing, cranking will pull the necessary extra gasoline into the firing chambers and eliminate the need for starter fluid. You should use premix in a spray bottle anyway.

Also, the engine needs a fully charged, powerful battery to reach the necessary 300RPM

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Starting method..... Pump fuel primer bulb up hard, crack throttle butterflies so that they are slightly open, crank engine and choke at the same time until engine fires, release key to run position.

Engine must crank over at least 300 rpm in order for the stator to energize the ignition. If it cranks slowly and battery is top notch and fully charged, remove and clean all (ALL) cables pertaining to the starting system, including the components to which they attach.

This includes the battery, starter solenoid, powerhead ground, the electric starter, etc..... everything.

You can test the starter itself by running good battery cables directly to the starter.

kevoleb

Recruit

Thanks for the prompt reply, I will check the battery charge and the closed choke and post results.