hot foot install question

Benny1963

Lieutenant
im thinking about putting a hot foot on my boat just wanted to know how it effects the warm up lever adjustments on side control for starting
and those of you running them do ya like em .
want to put trim on steering wheel and use hot foot

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: hot foot install question

You will be replacing that throttle cable , it least disconnecting it at the motor and installing a longer cable from the motor to the hot foot, the warm up lever will no longer function. ALL throttle control will be by foot.

mthieme

Captain

I got a buddy that's been looking for one of these.

You could add the automotive choke parts back onto the carb.
If it's a Rochester, there is a spring that sits down in the intake manifold, attached to a vacuum pot that actuates the choke butterfly.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i personally do not like them, as you have to keep your foot on the hot foot. get in rough water it can be hard to hold a constant speed.

mthieme

Captain

For the average boat, I agree and would go a step further and categorize them as being unsafe.
But, in specialized performance boats, drag boats, hydros, the application fits.
There are times you want both hands on the wheel as much as possible.
I have a dead man's throttle on my hydro, another device you don't want on the average runabout. But again, the application makes sense.

Although no one has bothered to ask, my guess is that Benny is not throwing this in a 24' cuddie cabin Searay.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If you need both hands on the wheel, the foot throttle is the way to go. It will come with it's own heavy duty return spring and I've never had any safety issue with mine. Though best used for high speed applications, I find the speed control offered by the foot throttle to be superior pulling tubers at 20.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I've put a Hot Foot in almost all my ski boats (and definately in all the race boats). We actually leave the throttle cable in the boat to the hand control. That way if, for some reason (long cruise), you want the hand control all it takes is about 5 minutes to swap it over.

Putting the trim control on the wheel is a great idea. Just remember if you have hydraulic steering a button with wires won't work because the wheel won't stay centered. On hydraulic steering we use the Pro Trim control from T-Flex. One lever for trim, one for the jackplate.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

yes thank you all my motor likes the advance from the cold start lever
but i assume you just push on the gas to get some timeing advance .
im running regular teleflex steering,my old controls are good but i want to try the hotfooy my buddie has one and its easy to function with trim on the steering,

Benny1963

Lieutenant

im sorry no its going on a mckee classic17 with 175 evin crossflow and smart tabs jack plate and good prop is in the mail best deal i could find on the plate
was on the 4 inch setback model used on ebay. waterpressure gauge as well
without the tabs and the jackpplate i cant get my boat to trimm up enough
without the tabs it porps badly at 4800 this setup will only stay on my boat until i find a hydro or something of the type,or a 140 looper for my classic
right know it runs48 at 4800 with 21 p junk prop

Benny1963

Lieutenant

im sorry no its going on a mckee classic17 with 175 evin crossflow and smart tabs jack plate and good prop is in the mail best deal i could find on the plate
was on the 4 inch setback model used on ebay. waterpressure gauge as well
without the tabs and the jackpplate i cant get my boat to trimm up enough
without the tabs it porps badly at 4800 this setup will only stay on my boat until i find a hydro or something of the type,or a 140 looper for my classic
right know it runs48 at 4800 with 21 p junk prop