Steering cable question

maxum247

Lieutenant
Have rack and pinion steering on my boat, lately there is resistance when turning the steering wheel in either direction. There is a stiff spot in the steering cable about a foot and a half behind the rack itself about six inches long where it turns to go under the deck from the console to the motor. Have checked the motor and steering wheel and both turn free! Is there any way to lubricate the steering cable or are the rack systems sealed?
Thanks in advance for your help!

max!

Attachments

• Picture 626.jpg
    Picture 626.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Steering cable question

I took the steering apart today down to the steering cable itself, one end is open and the other is sealed, making it hard to get any penatrating oil to flow down thru the steering cable. Might get it after a long period of time but it just doesn't seem worth the trouble as it steers pretty hard at this point. Looks like time for a new set up, the one I have now takes up to much room in the console so now will be a good time to change to another style of steering system.

max!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

It's more costly but hydrolic steering is the only way to go.I replace mine years ago and the only thing I have to do is spray the linkage and steering ram and make sure the oil is full. I have used it for 18 years and not 1 problem.Jerry

RRitt

Captain

when I did mine the gearbox and cable came as one. There is a local boat store that sells aftermarket parts for very good prices. If memory serves me I got a Teleflex brand cable with steering gear for $40-$50. If this is still the case for your boat then why bother trying to figure out whether it is gears or cable?

maxum247

Lieutenant

It's more costly but hydrolic steering is the only way to go.I replace mine years ago and the only thing I have to do is spray the linkage and steering ram and make sure the oil is full. I have used it for 18 years and not 1 problem.Jerry

Sounds nice but my budget would never allow it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

That is an odd looking rack system. If you are going to install a new helm and cable, go to the Teleflex site, get the part number for the helm and cable kit that you want (rotary or rack) then get on yahoo and do a search on the part number. Shop around, you can usually find the rotary for as little as $130 or so.

maxum247

Lieutenant

when I did mine the gearbox and cable came as one. There is a local boat store that sells aftermarket parts for very good prices. If memory serves me I got a Teleflex brand cable with steering gear for $40-$50. If this is still the case for your boat then why bother trying to figure out whether it is gears or cable?

It's a gear driven cable but I was wondering if the cable could be taken out of the rack and greased, after doing some reading today I found that the cable is likely greased and sealed at the factory during assembly.

maxum247

Lieutenant

That is an odd looking rack system. If you are going to install a new helm and cable, go to the Teleflex site, get the part number for the helm and cable kit that you want (rotary or rack) then get on yahoo and do a search on the part number. Shop around, you can usually find the rotary for as little as $130 or so.[/QUOT

Not sure what brand it is, but it worked good until I cut the outside layer of the steering cable with a saw working on the boat, after taping it up I thought it would be ok, but guess the moisture got to it over the winter, tried it the other day and it was pretty hard to turn the wheel on land so I can imagine how it would be on the water.

Thanks for the info!

max!