Compatability between Trim Pumps

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1989 Wellcraft Classic 180. My wife got a "good deal" on it last year, and I have been working to fix about everything that exists on the boat.

I am finally almost ready to test it in the water. The boat was missing the trim pump (amongst about everything else) when we got it. I bought one of the newer style trim pumps with the plastic resevoir off ebay. I think it was listed as coming off a 2006 model. I was told by a local boat repair place that all the trim pumps are basically interchangeable.

I just spent the past couple weeks sorting out all the electrical issues (previous owner basically cut all the wires) and finally have the trim pump wired up. I went to hook up the hoses when I noticed they have different style connections. The pump had dust covers that covered the fittings on the pump and I did not pull them off till last night.

I have done a lot of searching but cannot find good pictures to figure out my problem. I think the new pump has what they call "quick connect" fittings on it.

I found a schematic that looks like it shows a 1/4" reverse flare to 1/2" UNF fitting in place of the quick connect for the older pumps. But I am not sure that is correct.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this? The nearest marina / boat repair place is quite a drive for me, so I was hoping to find out my issue prior to taking the trip.

Thanks, Ken

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Compatability between Trim Pumps

Here are some pictures of the fittings on the pump and the end of my lines.

I was hoping to swap out the fittings on the pump. Or, would it just be easier to replace the 2 hoses with ones that have quick connect fittins on the ends of them?

Attachments

• DSC_6696.JPG
    DSC_6696.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_6698.JPG
    DSC_6698.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there for a while, I think there is a service bulletin on using that pump on older drives.

Bondo

Staff member

I found a schematic that looks like it shows a 1/4" reverse flare to 1/2" UNF fitting in place of the quick connect for the older pumps. But I am not sure that is correct.

Ayuh,....

With those 2 fittings,... Everything will work properly....

That'll be easier,+ I would think Cheaper than replacing the Lines.....

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,....

With those 2 fittings,... Everything will work properly....

That'll be easier,+ I would think Cheaper than replacing the Lines.....

Thanks for the help.

Any idea of a place that might have them? Other than mail order or a marina?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take the fittings out of the pump and head to your local auto parts store. The 1/4" reverse flaire is what you need for the hoses, just make sure you have the right threads for the part that goes in the pump. If I am remembering correctly, those ports on the pump itself, are different sizes

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take the fittings out of the pump and head to your local auto parts store. The 1/4" reverse flaire is what you need for the hoses, just make sure you have the right threads for the part that goes in the pump. If I am remembering correctly, those ports on the pump itself, are different sizes

On the way home from work I had the description I had from the schematic and tried to find the parts at NAPA but the 0.5" UNF was throwing them off. The 1/2" fittings were huge. I picked up a 1/4" fitting and said that one looked about the correct size. Of course, I did not have the ones from my pump with me to compare. I was hoping the description would be enough info.

I guess I will just got there in the morning with the pump and try out the fittings till we find one that fits. Since the ones there are intended for brakes and transmissions, I assume they should handle the pressure generated by the trim pump.

Bondo

Staff member

Since the ones there are intended for brakes and transmissions, I assume they should handle the pressure generated by the trim pump.

Ayuh,... No Problem....

Alumarine

Captain

You might also try a place that specializes in hydraulic hoses and fittings.

They might have a greater selection.

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

I finall got it all figured out.

I tried 3 different auto supply stores, but none of them had the required fittings. Unfortunately, the fittings were in the back. I think I might have been able to come up with something.

I was directed to a hydraulic shop (open on Saturdays). On the way there I passed a boat dealer that I fogot had existed. They had ONE of the fittings. (I need 2 of them) Only about $5, too. A couple blocks away was the hydraulic shop. It took the guy a while, but he finally came back with 2 pieces, that together worked for me.

He said the pump end was a #5 SAE. He said the #5 was not all that common. It has 1/2"-20 threads on it. I am just posting that in case anyone else would ever need that info.

The hose end was a 1/4" inverted flare.

The Mercuiser part has a screen built into it. That was the only real difference. I am not too concerned with it since the quick connect fittings I was replacing did not have any screens on them.

Check off one more item on my "project". :D