Oil change

egldvrbags

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1995 Bayliner 4.3 LX

Took my boat to get it winterized (Wisconsin), fluids changed, etc, at my local Merc repair shop. They rebuilt the engine this past winter. Only 20 hrs on "new" engine. They told me unless the oil was dirty, it didn't need changing as part of the service.

I told them to do it anyhow. In the big scheme of things, it's not a big expense.

Does not changing the engine oil/filter make any sense?? It doesn't to me.

Dave

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Oil change

eagh....if its really only got 20 hours on it i'd just leave it alone. i'd change it out in the spring commissioning just to draw out any condensation that may have been built up over the winter

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If the rebuild involved boring or honing of the cylinders, or new bearings, then an oil change at 20 hours in MANDATORY!!! The first few hours on new parts sloths off a lot of metal... Changing the oil and filter is the only way you can get it out of the system....

Chris........

I was always told that you should change the oil regardless of age before winterizing. There are acids and contaminants that build up and can be very dangerous if left to sit for an extended period of time.

In fact, I was always told to fog the engine with fresh oil in to flush out the crap before storage.

It always made sense to me!!

Also, a rebuilt engine should get fresh oil at 20 hours anyway!

Just my opionion. You know what they say about opinions!!!!!:D:D

egldvrbags

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the rebuild involved boring or honing of the cylinders, or new bearings, then an oil change at 20 hours in MANDATORY!!! The first few hours on new parts sloths off a lot of metal... Changing the oil and filter is the only way you can get it out of the system....

Chris........

Chris,
Agreed. This wasn't a mechanic that told me this but the person at the counter. That's why I told them I wanted the oil/filter changed w/ the rest of the service.

Dave

chiefalen

Captain

You did good. It's your boat do what YOU want. The right move was to change the oil.

And when you put it away for the winter change it again. Out drive oil also.

egldvrbags

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You did good. It's your boat do what YOU want. The right move was to change the oil.

And when you put it away for the winter change it again. Out drive oil also.

Thanks! When I pick it up I'll talk w/ service manager and let him know what the desk clerk told me. It's a well respected Merc dealer.

The Wisconsin boating season (for this southern raised fellow) is too short to be nickeling and diming on maintenance and then have a busted boat over July 4th weekend!!

Dave