Hydrofoils and trim tabs really necessary?

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

In recent months, my 4 year old son has become obsessed with fishing. So the next logical step was to buy our first boat; which we did a few weeks ago. It's nothing special (although it may be something to laugh at), just an old '65 MFG Challenger with an Evinrude 25 tiller-steer outboard. We take it out 3-4 times a week and have a blast - fish or no fish.

Because this is my first boat, there has been somewhat of a learning curve for me. One of the things that I've been experimenting with is "trim". The topics of trim tabs and hydrofoils keeps popping up throughout the course of my research. Many folks say these are the answer to their prayers for their trim woes.

My qeustion is: Are these trim tabs and hydrofoils actually addressing a real problem or are they just band-aids that simply mask a larger issue?

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hydrofoils and trim tabs really necessary?

Trim tabs help you get on plane faster and maintain plane at a lower speed
For that they are great...
They also (allegedly) increase fuel economy and make the boat more stable and do almost anything else you want according to the manufacturers
In reality they are great for getting on and staying on plane, which is great for skiing, tubing and wake boarding
For the average fishing boat, I don't feel they do enough to warrant the investment.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

welcome to the forums. what exactly are your problems? you answer may be much simplier than tabs. what size is the boat? as i really do not know what a MFG Challenger is. a picture would help also. we have to keep the 4 y/o fishing and learning. watch it he's going to be wanting a bass boat, for his 6th birthday.

MikDee

Banned

If you're having trouble getting on plane, or staying on plane, a Doel fin hydrofoil realy helps on smaller boats. It is a simple, reasonably inexpensive fix, especially if you have tiller steering, and a good amount of weight in the back of the boat. They do make bigger hydrofoils like a Stingray, or Whaletail, if you need extra lift, but that size is usually not needed. You will have to determine what's best for you, but any one of these may scrub your top speed just a little (2-3mph), because of extra drag. The benefits make up for it though IMO.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Neither trim tabs or foils are necessary if there are no particular handling or performance issues with the boat. For example, one of the most common issues, especially with smaller boats, is the tendency for the bow to dance up and down (called porpoising). Proper use of trim and better load balancing can often lessen or even eliminate this problem. However, boaters who spend a lot of time on the water, travel greater distances and carry loads that vary greatly may opt for tabs to compensate for these variations. As was mentioned, tabs do allow a boat to stay on plane at much slower speeds than without them and they also allow a boat to pop on plane much quicker. On larger boats, tabs may be installed that are helm adjustable which allows compensation on a boat that tends to list to one side or another either because of design or loading. So the answer is - yes they are valuable add-ons, but are required only if an issue exists.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a link to Bennett, the oldest and lagest manufacturer of trim tabs. It explains the reason and purpose for the use of them.

All I can tell you is that on my somewhat underpowered 18' it made a world of difference getting on plane. Since I usually found myself in skinny water netting bait, the quicker on plane diminished my likelihood of fouling the bottom or my motor.

They may not be of that much help in a smaller boat with a 25 horse.

http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/upkeep/trimtabs.asp

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't really have a problem with my boat . . .just curious about these things.

However, I did have a small problem with my bow rising and lowering in a slow oscillation (I belive it's called "porpoising"?), but bringing the prop closer to the transom by one pin remedied that issue.

As for the boy . . . his idea of a good time is driving the boat in a zig-zag fashion at idle speed while going from one fishing hole to the next.

A lot of people have told me that a boat is nothing more than a hole in the water into which you pour money, but this thing is one of the best invesments I've ever made.

I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when you find a good one, it really pays to maintain it. many can be just a Break Out Another Thousand BOAT.