1959 johnson super sea horse 35 LU problem

bro460

Cadet
Let's start by saying I just got my brother's boat and motor off him and have actually made some headway with it. My brother is Loopie on this site he has pics of the motor in question. He neglected to tell me though that he ran a riverbank a couple times and messed up the shifter/LU unit. I got it running on both cylinders again (coil wire was broken, replaced both) and now my problem is in the LU not shifting out of drive/forward. It is a manual shift and should be pretty straight forward. I have the LU off of it right now but, I haven't tore it apart yet. Is there anything I should know before dis-assembly of the LU? I don't have a manual and am a mechanic by trade so that will help with things. Any and all help is very appreciated.

The problem is it will not shift at the LU but, the upper mechanism is working good. Brother "loopie" has a complete 56/57 Johnson 35 will that LU work on my motor being a 59? If it will is there any mod's I have to do?:confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1959 johnson super sea horse 35 LU problem

57 has only one water tube, doe yours have one or two water tubes. i believe they made it both was in 59.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Ditto. You need to check any donor LU you are considering...it has to be an exact match. They made them both ways starting in 58 and on into 59.

CATransplant

Admiral

The 59 Super Sea Horse has two water tubes. In 1958, there were two versions of the 35. The Super Sea Horse, RDS-20, and the RD19. All of the Big Twins with the extra midsection housing have two tubes, and all of the RD and RK series after 1958 have two tubes.

bro460

Cadet

The 59 I am repairing has two tubes in the extension, I will have to look at the other motor sometime. I think it will be a pretty straight forward fix on this LU so I will attempt to tear it apart and fix what is inside. Just wondering if things are gonna fall apart when I take it apart or is it kinda like a dirtbike for simplicity?

bro460

Cadet

Been a while but, finally back to workin on the boat. I took the LU apart and the fork was jammed up. I re-allined it and all should be good right. I put it back on the motor assy and I have it going into Neutral for sure but the shifter indicates Forward. It will go in gear but the shifter is in the Neutral position. Did I do something wrong, please help. i think I am missing the Forward.

It is Reverse/Neutral/Forward on the engine cover from the rear to the front.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Either you need to adjust the shift handle on the shaft, to snap smartly into R-N-F or something is amiss under the powerhad...the shaft may be binding there.

bro460

Cadet

Yes I do still need a manual, you got's one? What is the powerhead, Is that where the shifter goes into the engine?

Willyclay

Captain

I have a non-factory manual scanned and saved that I can send you as an attachment to an email. You will need to send me your email address in a Private Message. The "powerhead" is what the engine block is called on an outboard motor.

liverkiller

Cadet

i have a 1959 super sea horse also can you e-mail me a copy of the manual you have scanned

bro460

Cadet

Been awhile since I've been back on the site. But, I have fixed the shifting problem. After I fixed the fork that was jammed I found out I needed to adjust the rods that ran down to the fork unit (lu) It was easy to do once I started to play around with it.

bro460

Cadet

LOL< That was my brother that ran the riverbank with it before i got it from him. He also neglected to tell me about this before I bought it, Oh well it's fixed just have to get the motor running good now, and refinish the floor and build seats. Who-hoo!!!! Oh ya and find a new steering wheel and build a windshield and one day paint the boat. Is this boat really worth it?????? Good thing I only paid 500bucks with a good tailer, LOL