Bayliner Deck Boat - Opinions?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've been looking for an 18' bowrider or deckboat for less that $8000, but this one came up for $9500:

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/817036057.html

It's 21 or 22 feet. I wanted a shorter boat for zippyness and ease of docking, but everyone on the forums seems to move to bigger boats after a couple of years. Plus, a bigger boat may be a bit safer out on the Chesapeake Bay.

Any thoughts or known issues with this boat?

Any thoughts on handling differences between an 18' bowrider and a 22' deckboat?

Bowrider vs Deckboat - pros and cons?

Price?

Strategery on wife-convincing tactics?

Supposed to be in great shape, except the bimini needs seem stitched and the radio/CD doesn't work. The GPS is a combo GPS/fishfinder.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Jim

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bayliner Deck Boat - Opinions?

it is worth checking out. i have a 23' chris craft deck boat, 5.7 VP. love it. rough water you just attach the bow cover.

cmcpherson

Banned

I've been looking for an 18' bowrider or deckboat for less that $8000, but this one came up for $9500:

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/817036057.html

It's 21 or 22 feet. I wanted a shorter boat for zippyness and ease of docking, but everyone on the forums seems to move to bigger boats after a couple of years. Plus, a bigger boat may be a bit safer out on the Chesapeake Bay.

Any thoughts or known issues with this boat?

Any thoughts on handling differences between an 18' bowrider and a 22' deckboat?

Bowrider vs Deckboat - pros and cons?

Price?

Strategery on wife-convincing tactics?

Supposed to be in great shape, except the bimini needs seem stitched and the radio/CD doesn't work. The GPS is a combo GPS/fishfinder.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Jim

1. You need to water test this boat against a true bowrider, the deck boat is absolutely going to ride more roughly.

2. It is a Bayliner so know what you are getting going in to it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cmcpherson, i have to disagree with the ride difference, of a bow rider and deck boat. mine rides much better that a bow rider, and much more stable at rest.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Have to agree as well. I have a 17' ft deck boat and it is better than my friends equivalent size bowrider.

Another friend has a 23' deck boat, and its amazingly smooth. Both are Hurricane deck boats but I suspect based on the Bayliners I've seen, it would be similar.

cmcpherson

Banned

Well I guess that all of the experts are wrong then about how boats ride, never heard anyone say the ride of a deckboat is smoother than a deeper V bowrider. If you want a boat that is stable at rest, get a cat.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

cmcpherson, i have to disagree with the ride difference, of a bow rider and deck boat. mine rides much better that a bow rider, and much more stable at rest.

Took a ride on a new Chris Craft Deck boat and it was as nice as my 22 Celebrity, when we pulled it, i saw why...these new generation deck boats are "V" Hull right back to the transom...not as much deadrise as my 22 but the ride in 2-3 swells along with a brisk southerly making soupy chop on top of the swells...and she ran smooth, Nice Boats,nice ride, and due to greater beam a smidge more stable.Go with the deck.....

cmcpherson

Banned

Took a ride on a new Chris Craft Deck boat and it was as nice as my 22 Celebrity, when we pulled it, i saw why...these new generation deck boats are "V" Hull right back to the transom...not as much deadrise as my 22 but the ride in 2-3 swells along with a brisk southerly making soupy chop on top of the swells...and she ran smooth, Nice Boats,nice ride, and due to greater beam a smidge more stable.Go with the deck.....

What model was this?