trim gauge?

dbrace

Recruit
well I've come to the mecca of info - I just bought a hydra sport boat with a 2001 mariner - everything works except the trim gauge, I followed the wiring and I found the proper wire in the motor cowling, my problem is where does it hook up to., the tilt/trim uses a three wire system. help

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: trim gauge?

Nup!!!

The trim gauge uses a single wire and a ground.... The tan/blue wire connects to the trim sender. And there should be a single black wire on the sender that gets grounded where the sender bolts to the engine bracket (which engine are we dealing with? Yes, it matters.)

Test the gauge by the following... with the gauge hooked to the control box harness, turn the key to ON... With the tan/blue wire disconnected the gauge should read that the engine is in the up position... Touch the sender wire to ground, or better still touch a known good ground wire to the sender terminal on the back of the gauge. The needle should go to the full down position... If it does all that right, then connect to the sender... run the engine up and down and see if the gauge follows... If the gauge doesn't work, get out your multimeter and (this is where the engine matters) move the lever on the sender (if it has one) and check for a resistance swing of 33 ohms to 240 ohms....

Chris........

dbrace

Recruit

thanks Chris for the the info.. What I have come to is.... the sender is not to be found, I take it , it should be attached to the pivoting part and the "frame". So if I am missing the sender, how hard is it to attach one, sorry to sound ignorant, but all my bass boats where not equipped with the gauges, now that I have a gauge, wouldn't you know I want it to work. Again thans for the help

achris

More fish than mountain goat

What is the engine you have? Generally they are quite easy to fit...

Chris......