Force lower unit

buda

Seaman
Hi Everybody

I need some help with a 1989 Force 125 HP lower unit. When you shift into forward and reverse it has grinding or growling sound. You have to shift slowly going into forward and reverse. Could the cables be out of adjustment.
If i tore it down how would i know what parts to replace. This motor has been driveing me up a wall, fix one thing and something else goes wrong.

Thanks Buda

Mwp909

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Force lower unit

Have you checked the lower unit?s oil? It may be low. I was told that you really have to know what you?re doing to rebuild a lower unit. It?s not for the average joe.
Good luck

buda

Seaman

No i have'nt checked the oil. I will do that today. Yes working on the lower unit is difficult, but having the right tools helps. It's those special tools you don't use all the time and and don't have that makes it hard. Do you know were a person could rent the special tools to work on a lower unit.

Thanks Buda

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also check the rpm at idle
Too high and it will effect shifting

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you shift slowly you WILL have a grinding sound. Do you usually shift slowly? All shifting should be in a quick/jerking motion. Don't hesitate out of neutral in either direction.

buda

Seaman

Checked oil in lower gear case and it was milky. No i don't normaly shift slowly , i was having a hard time shifting into gear. I'm going to try and replace the lower seals. Wish me luck.

Thanks Buda

buda

Seaman

Need help again.
I'm having trouble getting the bearing spool out. I'm using a puller, but it won't come out. Does anybody have any sujestions.

Thanks Buda