3.0 mercruiser

no1satguy

Seaman Apprentice
I am going to get my outboard ready for winter soon. How do I put antifreeze while flushing from a hose while the engine is running. Also how do I cut-off the gas so that there is nothing left.

gss036

Commander
Re: 3.0 mercruiser

You refer to your outboard, but the 3.0 Mericurser is an I/O so you would get better response if you post over there.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: 3.0 mercruiser

okay... i'll do this in steps....

step 1. get a manual.... search in the forums and you can find them.
2. run the engine on muffs to warm it up and flush out any old lake/salt water.
3. while its running fog the motor and stall it out.
4. pull all of the block and manifold drains, let all of the water drain out
5. stick a screwdrive in all the drains and make sure they are not clogged and that you got all the water out.
6. pull all your hoses, get all the water out of those. if you have closed cooling or PS cooler your going to need to get the water out of the heat exchangers
7. get 4 gallons of non tox antifreeze and a funnel. put all the hoses back on and leave the bottom clamps on only. stick your funnel in a hose and start pouring. Start with the block first. Start filling until antifreeze is coming out of the drain, when it does put the drain back in and fill the block all the way up. fill all the hoses the best you can and clamp them back on
8. move on to the manifold, start pouring till it comes out the drain, then put the plug back in and keep pouring till it comes out the exhaust.
9. your done with the antifreeze
10. change your engine oil filter
11. change your fuel filters.
12. i didn't ask if this was carbed or injected.... so the steps may be different, i'll just stop now, but you get the idea on how to add antifreeze to it now.