Engine Swap Can It Be Done

SCOTT_70

Cadet
Ive Got A 1989 Bayliner With 2.3 Liter Engine,well ,had A 2.3,bought The Boat Less Engine Block,but I Have A Marine 302 Engine That Is An Older Arrowglass Tri Hull.the Engine Is Fine But The Outdrive Is A Volvo And Its Shot.my Question Is,correct Me If Im Wrong,isnt The Shafts All The Same As In I Want To Drop My 302 In The Bayliner.i Know What To Do With The Stringers And Mounts,and Even Adding Floatation To The Rear Of The Hull,but Didnt Know If The 302 Would Hook Up To The Lower Unit Off The 2.3 Or Not,thanks For Any Replies

Last edited:

jp89bayliner

Seaman
Re: Engine Swap Can It Be Done

I am pretty sure the drive ratio would incorrect for the 302, and maybee to much power for it, not sure. I am sure a pro will chime in soon.

erikgreen

Captain

This question has been asked a lot here, this is the short answer:

You'll need to replace the entire drive train, engine and all. Trying to make the different brands' parts work together is possible if you have a machine shop and a lot of money.

Since it sounds like you don't, I'd suggest either repairing the volvo drive or looking for a used one somewhere. You can also swap the complete mercruiser drive train into the boat, but you'll probably be underpowered, and that's a lot of work.

Also, adding floatation to the rear of the boat will only help if it's outside the hull... adding more foam inside won't do anything but add weight.

Erik

SCOTT_70

Cadet

thanks very much,i have another complete alfa 1 drive that was behind a 302,it hasnt been used in a long time and i would replace bearings and such if its used,just didnt want to swap out drive if i didnt have to,but i have found several boats this year that needed attention and have gotten into repl.floores and engines and int. and such then trading or selling them,kinda a hobbie i guess,thanks for replies,guess ill start to go through my other out drive then.