Ran Drive with trim up, damage??

copelandcf

Cadet
I have been in the process of replacing my waterpump and waterpocket cover after a burnout on my Alpha One. Finally everything is back together. I started it up to run it (yes there is gear oil) and the drive is making a rattling noise, not sure how much rattle is normal as I am new to boats. I did a search and if the trim is up it seems the u-joint can make a rattling noise, correct? My trim was pretty high and did not know this is an issue. I ran it mostly in neutral, but did put it in drive to make sure everything was working. I did rev it up to 3K rpms a couple times to make sure it wouldnt overheat. Could I have done any damage to the drive? Total run time with trim up was 5-10 minutes, with only 1-2 of those over 2K rpms. Wish I would have had this knowledge before hand. Thanks for any help. Cavan

Also when I pumped in the gear oil, one quart did not make it come out the vent, should I get more? I thought Alpha One only needed one quart of gear oil.

Uraijit

Banned
Re: Ran Drive with trim up, damage??

Probably didn't mess anything up. Just don't make a habit of it.

Maclin

Admiral

You do need to understand that the u-joints are spinning anytime the engine is turning or running. Neutral only keeps the prop from being driven.

Maclin

Admiral

Also when I pumped in the gear oil, one quart did not make it come out the vent, should I get more? I thought Alpha One only needed one quart of gear oil.

I thought they held more like 3 quarts.....:eek: You have to keep pumping it in until it comes out the vent hole.

copelandcf

Cadet

Maclin, I gotcha. I was thinking about that and realized there is no clutch on that flywheel so the "clutch" is the outdrive and whether its in gear or not. Didnt catch that at first.

I guess I'll pick up another quart and start pumping, I know its supposed to be around 1 quart, but after some reading it can take as much as 1.5-2 quarts depending on reservoir etc... although I dont have a reservoir. :confused:

Uraijit

Banned

Mine has no reservoir, and it takes about 1.3 quarts to fill it up.

i wouldnt make a habit it out of it. i lost the u-joint on my bravo 3 and it cost me 8k to replace all the parts that it took with it when it let loose at 4k rpms...the angle puts alot of strain on the joint, but im sure yours is ok!

brett

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why don't you just pull the outdrive and look inside by the gimbal bearing. If the ujoints hit the aluminum, it could bend it up and cut the bellows.