Boat is riding at a angle at high speeds??

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1970 kay 11 foot hydroplane 40hp johnson, it's riding at a angle after it gets going. The weight is pretty even but when it get planed out the left side is down. The flat plate just above the prop has a piece missing about 2" right at the end, above the exhaust on the left side. The boat mechanic said it wouldn't affect anything. Could this be causing any thing? Also the previous owner put some metal "fins" on the bottom of the front "pods" at the end of them, im thinking i should remove them one is bent just a little on the end.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat is riding at a angle at high speeds??

Be sure that the motor is precisely centered. Don't measure from an inside position, but from the extreme port and starboard sides of the boat. Also measure to the bottom of the motor from the same positions.

If the boat is hooked, you won't be able to correct the problem by way of the motor.

CATransplant

Admiral

On a hydroplane like that, little things can make a big difference. I'd definitely take a closer look at those tabs you mentioned. If they're contacting the water at full speed, a small bend in one could sure cause your problem.

Also, I don't know how much of your boat is in contact with the water at full speed, but it won't be a lot. The missing chunk of your AV plate could have an effect, too.

Hydros aren't like regular boats. Small changes at the stern can really affect how it rides, since very little, if any, of the boat is in contact with the water.

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor was off to the right about 1/8th inch. I got it in the center now, I'll try it again. Im also going to have a lighter passenger this time. Next the fins that have been added to the bottom are going to be removed. Could it have something with the longshaft motor on it, im going to short shaft it and paint the boat this winter?

CATransplant

Admiral

Converting to short shaft will change everything. You'll no doubt get more speed out of your hydro, due to less drag and other factors. I'm betting you will be amazed. You will probably have to change the trim angle of the outboard a little, though, once you shorten it.

Good luck!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The longshaft motor could be the cause of all sorts of handling issues. Get that taken care of first.
- Scott

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agreed, excessive drag from the long shaft will not help at all.