General Info 1986 Bayliner Capri

xENVIOUSx

Cadet
I recently received a 1986 Bayliner Capri with a Force 50 from my grandfather. I looked at the motor and all looks fine. In fact, the motor looks relatively new.
The only issue with the Capri is that it was sitting out of the water for a while. I'm positive it needs a battery, and the spark plugs just look old but show no real issues of abuse or neglect.
I was wondering if you could tell me some other things to check out before starting the motor up. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: General Info 1986 Bayliner Capri

depending how long its been setting i would change the water pump first thing and the thermostat .. also pull the plugs and spray some oil into the cylinders. might want to do a compression test and wing it over with no plugs in for a few revolutons with the cylinders lubed .. after that i see no reason to try to start it and see what happends .. these engine dont like to get over heated so i would for sure go though the coolant system

john from md

Commander

The carbs will need to be cleaned and the water pump replaced. Plugs are cheap so put a new set in also. The water pump will cost about $16. When you replace it, look at the housing and make sure it is not pitted or corroded out.

As the engine is new to you, I would change the oil in the lower also. This does not take long and gives you an idea if there is any water in the lower. If it comes out milky, you have water in the oil and can have a corrosion on the lower gears and bearings.

If you don't have a book on the engine, purchase a Clymer book. You will need it later for storage and tuneups etc.

I have an 85 Capri with an 85hp Force engine. I would think that your Capri is somewhat underpowered if it is the 16 foot version.

Regards,

John

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

lots of good info here .. i have an 89 capri with a 50 hp on it .. i am happy with the speed it does with 2 people gear ..

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure you have a good set of muffs on it
so it gets plenty of water
Muffs that fit well on Force motors are tough to find and as mentioned,
Force motors do NOT handle overheating very well

xENVIOUSx

Cadet

thank you all for the great info. i definitely appreciate this!