Volvo Penta 4.3GL - Impeller in Raw Water Pump Issue

rickn1967

Recruit
I have a 2001 Volvo Penta 4.3GL and the engine started to over heat. Took the boat out of the water and did a Raw water pump test. Found that the Impeller was no good. All blades from the Impeller was missing except for one. I found pieces of the rubber blades in the pump and in the thermostat housing but not all. My question is, how far do I need to go in finding these pieces. I believe I'm missing 4 blades out of 12. Will these flush out through the exhaust? Is there a way to finding these pieces without taking apart the engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3GL - Impeller in Raw Water Pump Issue

Will these flush out through the exhaust?

Possible, but they could be stuck in either the exhaust manifolds or the risers.
If you can't find them, take it for a careful test run and make sure everything stays cool. They may have been in smaller pieces and washed thru.

In the future, replace the impeller every other year. Saves a lot of hassle.

rickn1967

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3GL - Impeller in Raw Water Pump Issue

Thanks Don S

I was hoping I wouldn't have to get into the exhaust system.
What would cause these blades to tear off and why isn't there some kind of screen to catch these before entering into the Thermostat housing?
Do you know which way the blades need to go when inserting it into the pump housing. The pump is shaft driven. I do have a manual but it doesn't indicate the direction of the blades.

Rickn1967