Trailer Parts "Refreshments"

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hell Guys!
Just want to share with you some "refreshments" have done to my trailer. I bought this Glastron on Aug 15 and want to be sure that I will not have any trouble during towing for years to come, so I have change the following: " drums, bearings, rims and wheels and also the springs including bolts and nuts, the drums and bearings was changed last week but they looks the same way as the springs... so here we go....

Starting from the left side.... before and after

left side before
img1.jpg

left side after
img2.jpg

left side after with its wheel and rim "Brand New"
img3.jpg

"Under Viewing"
img4.jpg

right side before
img5.jpg

right side after
img6.jpg

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trailer Parts "Refreshments"

yes, it was a time for a little maintainance. good job. keep them rinse from salt water, and good to go for another 20 years.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your before photos are better han what I have at present. So far this year, I've HAD to replace the bearings and seals on both sides and replaced one hub. I thought I had a slow leak that progressively grew faster and found out that the rim had rusted though, so that was replaced too. I came to find out that it was an automabile rim.
I'll be doing exactly what you did come next spring. Glad it's only a single axel.

Tiki35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am also about the change the leaf springs on my trailer. From the pictures, I see he has jack stands under the axle. Aren't you supposed to jack up the axle to remove the tire, and then place jack stands under the trailer frame when changing the springs?

krakatoa

They arent in the picture but I place 2 jacks to hold the trailer and another one to hold the axle.:cool:

Tiki35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Krakatoa:

My trailer is a '91, and I would say my springs are probably even rustier than yours. How easily did they come off and what tools did you use? I have an electric impact gun, breaker bar, and reciprocating saw at the ready.

krakatoa

Well, actually this is a 1993 Venture Trailer I start @ 7;00p.m. and finish @ 1:00 p.m. It was easy but it tooks so long since the bults and nots lost its "wrench form" so there is no way to loosen it. I have to stop everything and went to Home D..OT and buy a grinder and a few metal cut disc to cut the bolts , links and UBOLTS. Im think that the hard work has been done here. :)

Again, since I change everything I just cut it out, It will save you time.

AZMinyard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe it is just me and my mindset, but I was envisioning trailer modifications along the lines of beverage dispensers . . . the trailer kegerator, for instance . . .

No worries though, not nearly as disappointing as going into a building marked ?Mexican Pot World? :D

krakatoa

Maybe it is just me and my mindset, but I was envisioning trailer modifications along the lines of beverage dispensers . . . the trailer kegerator, for instance . . .

No worries though, not nearly as disappointing as going into a building marked ?Mexican Pot World? :D

What you mean?

reelfishin

Captain

I've gotten into the habit here of heavily painting everything to help protect it from saltwater. I also keep them clean and painted as time goes on. Most springs and bolts come with only a minimum of corrosion protection, anything you can add is a major plus. I paint all of my bolts first, then once it's all together, I slobber a good healthy coat of paint over the whole works.
I keep the wheel studs well greased as well, it helps keep them free of rust too.

captquest

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good job! those look like my old springs, I just did mine as well. I re-covered the bunks and replaced almost all the rusty hardware with brand new. I wire brushed off as much rust as I could and used a couple of cans of cold galvanize on the entire trailer. It took all of six hours but very rewarding. The boat sits nice and level now and the trailer is much quieter on the street. I also replaced my braided cable with a strap for my winch. After rebuilding my engine and then giving the boat a good going over, I just couldn't stop. I'm completely updated.

krakatoa

Thanks!
I just have left a few ubolts, bolts and nuts but the hard work has been done "I hope", just working now in a few upholstery details......

Shizzy

Ensign

I've gotten into the habit here of heavily painting everything to help protect it from saltwater. I also keep them clean and painted as time goes on. Most springs and bolts come with only a minimum of corrosion protection, anything you can add is a major plus. I paint all of my bolts first, then once it's all together, I slobber a good healthy coat of paint over the whole works.
I keep the wheel studs well greased as well, it helps keep them free of rust too.

Im not in salt water but I have always given things I have apart a quick shot of rattle can. a couple of minutes of your time and 98 cents goes a long way.

krakatoa

Im in salt water, once the boat is out of the water I just give to the trailer a nice soak of fresh water then a nice shot of WD40 to the springs, rims and so on..... its a GOOD help!:D

Benny1963

Lieutenant

im changeing my springs and fenders and hubs
i believe i will cut my bolts off ,how much did you have in your rebuild and were did you get your parts

krakatoa

i believe i will cut my bolts off ,how much did you have in your rebuild and were did you get your parts
Well let me see.

46.00 - springs
64.00 - each hub kit
24.00 - Ubolts kit
236.00 - Rims & Tires
53.00 - Grinder
10.00 Disc Cutter
55.00 - Led Lights
18.00 - Coor Light Case

krakatoa

Well let me see.

46.00 - springs
64.00 - each hub kit
24.00 - Ubolts kit
236.00 - Rims & Tires
53.00 - Grinder
10.00 Disc Cutter
55.00 - Led Lights
18.00 - Coor Light Case

I get the parts locally in P.R. do the math ( I never look @ my boat receipt tickets :( avoid depression, ja!...). I have to cut almos everything )bolts) the y goes too "rusted"