Engine Won't crank

I have a 1977 75 hp johnson outboard that stopped cranking. the battery is good all conections are clean at the battery and at the engine, I have voltage at the solenoid and the electric choke works but still won't crank.
anyone have an idea whats wrong ?

Bryan

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine Won't crank

have you tried jumping the solenoid? use a auto remote starter switch, just a button switch with 2 aligator clips. clip one to the incoming pos cable, and the other to the top little post. then push button.

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

Thanks. jumped at the solenoid and at the starter, cranks just fine.
didn't think the neutral switch would be the problem. took the throtle assembly apart,depressed the neutral switch and engine cranks (problem found) .
Now too more problems
1. how and where to adjust the linkage for the neutral switch.?
2.the starter cogg stays engaged in the flywheel,I don't think it is supposed to stay up ?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

THe safty switch should have elongated holes to enable proper placement,r u sure switch is ok.You starter either has a gummed up bendix gear shaft which you can spray some degreaser to un gunk followed by a lite grease like moly lube.OR the spring has lost its ability to return the gear back down and needs replacing,remove the starter then the nut at top of shaft,twist old unit off

tashasdaddy

also the gear may stay up due to weak battery.

Thanks guys, I'll check it out when I get home from work today I did see alot of gum on the starter shaft.
Batteries are what I do for a living,I work at a battery shop.my battery tested at 12.6 volts and 770cca.is an outboard starter any different than an auto starter ?
Thanks again for all the help.i'm glad i joined this forum​

tashasdaddy

not much difference in the starters, armature, brushes, bearings, bendix. it'sd just an electric motor.