Chrysler 35 HP

samcam

Cadet
I purchased this motor yesterday and I tried to run it but I can't. The problem is that I can't get gas to the carburator. I can get gas to the cylinder but not to the carburator. I think that there is no suction on the carburator but I don't know o fix it. I clean the spark plugs but thats all. It will run for a few seconds with starter fluid but no gas to the carburator. Can someone help me? Thank you

Last edited:

samcam

Cadet
Re: Chrysler 35 HP

Let me rephrase the question. If I used stater fluid it will run but only for a few seconds. So I am assuming there is no gas going to the carb. I prime the gas from tank to cylinders and it goes in but from the cylinders there is a glass bowl and I only see half of the glass full. I dont know why is not sucking gas to the carburator. The owner said that has been in the garage for two years but before it was running fine. Can someone help please...

mthieme

Captain

Try squeezing the bulb if you can keep it running long enough.
If it continues to run, you probably have a fuel pump issue.
If not, check the lines and bulb to make sure you are not sucking air.
Last...carb.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Disconnect the hose going to the carb and pump and see if fuel is getting to the carb. If so your needle valves are probably stuck or the floats are shot.

samcam

Cadet

Disconnect the hose going to the carb and pump and see if fuel is getting to the carb. If so your needle valves are probably stuck or the floats are shot.

I tried that and nothing, the hose is dry. This hose is conected to a glass bowl and I don't see gas from there to the carb. There is gas in there but no suction If I prime to much it overflows the cylinders where the spark pluus are. So causes the gas to go from the bowl to the carb? By the way thank you for helping me....

samcam

Cadet

Try squeezing the bulb if you can keep it running long enough.
If it continues to run, you probably have a fuel pump issue.
If not, check the lines and bulb to make sure you are not sucking air.
Last...carb.

Is there a way to check the fuel pump? Do you refer the bulb as the prime pump of the gas tank on the hose? I tried that and it dies but there is no gas going to the carb. Thanks for helping me..

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Either the primer bulb on the fuel line is bad or the diaprham in your fuel pump is ruptured. Fuel pump kit is 18-7806. NAPA sells them. You can get a new primer pump from walmart or any place that sells marine parts.

samcam

Cadet

Either the primer bulb on the fuel line is bad or the diaprham in your fuel pump is ruptured. Fuel pump kit is 18-7806. NAPA sells them. You can get a new primer pump from walmart or any place that sells marine parts.

I think I have good news, I connected the primer bulb fuel line direct to the carburator and after a couple of times trying to get to start for more than 15 seconds, it finally did. I got a rag and soak it in gas and put it in front of the carburator and it work. I had the motor running for a coupple of minutes but now I need tonow what is the problem since I cant get gas to the carburator and I believe that the problem is on the fuell system.

Do all chrysler motors have fuel pump because the owner said no. I dont know if he is right!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

It should look like this and is on the starboard side. Part number 7 is the diaphragm and that is probably the problem. Fuel pump kit sierra 18-7806 is the kit you want.
8A.png

samcam

Cadet

It should look like this and is on the starboard side. Part number 7 is the diaphragm and that is probably the problem. Fuel pump kit sierra 18-7806 is the kit you want.
8A.png

I have some pictures that I want to show you and see if it makes sense I will try to paste them but if not, is there anther way that I can send you the pics.

Is this what you are talking about because it looks different? Also, are the cracks on both sides on the gasket on right?

Thank you for your time and help,

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I sent you a PM. send me an email and I will host your pics for you.

samcam

Cadet

I sent you a PM. send me an email and I will host your pics for you.

Eurolarva, I actually did understood the explore view, it was different but gaskets where almost the same. I replaced yesterday the diaphragm and after priming the bulb a couple of time I started to see drops in to the glass bowl, I think the check valves had to have some pressure built in the inside for them to work but finally it did. Now I just have to fix the water pump and I am ready to roll. I will see if someone has tips or info on how to change it and where it is. Do you have an idea? One last question, once gas is coming out of the glass bowl in to the carb, will the gas have to be coming out has a stream or just I little by little?

Thanks for the help,

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

It is not going to come out very fast. The gas comes on motor compression. If you disconnect the hose going to the carb and put a mason jar under it pump the primer bulb till gas starts to come out. disconnect and ground out the spark plugs and crank the starter and you will see how fast it comes out. Kinda like an old man with a prostate problem. With a glass bowl it must be around late 60s. Remove the six bolts and nuts that hold the motor leg covers on. Remove 3 of the 4 bolts holding the lower unit to the motor leg and loosen the fourth but leave a couple of full turns left on the nut. Start turning the 2 inch hex nut that holds the upper and lower shift linkage together and as it separates you will see the lower unit start to slowly come down. You may have to remove the last bolt and hold the lower unit till it is released from the coupler. Remove the three or four screws holding the water pump to the lower unit pick up, remove the impeller but leave the small impeller key in the drive shaft. insert new impeller and then put the water pump over the impeller. While slowly turning the drive shaft clock wise push down hard on the water pump till it seats all the way and reverse everything. Make sure the water pump is not pitted when you take it apart. After you get the water pump over the impeller the drive shaft will be much harder to turn. Good luck