i need help towing for the first time

cubajean10

Cadet
i recently purchased a boat so yes i'm a newb, basically i was wondering if an "experienced sailor" can help me tow my boat to the launch ramp. it's in a dry storage area in oxnard, ca and 2 months have passed by and i haven't used it because i have no idea how to tow it.
the info:
boat:
1985 bayliner ciera 2750 27"
car:
1990 chevrolet suburban 2500
any volunteers ? :D
thank you in advance

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: i need help towing for the first time

Hello and welcome to the forum.
It is a bit of a drive for me, but I am sure someone in your area should be be able to better help you.

I would also suggest picking up a towing guide from your local GM dealer which will give you some ideas and safety hints to help you master the art of towing and backing. It is where my wife started many years ago and now has no issues towing - or backing up our large travel trailer.

Safe boating,
Mike.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sure i will go with you, if you pay round trip. lol. when backing place you hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, move your hand the direction you want the trailer to go. over steering is a big problem to get use to.

if you can't find someone at work or a friend. try going to the boat ramp, and talk to a couple of people. you may meet a new friend, and some one to teach you.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Practicing in an empty parking lot on a Sunday morning will help you considerably. When out in traffic leave some extra stopping distance till you get used to your rig. When you are happy with your progress get down to a ramp at a quiet time and drop her in. Read up in the "stupid human tricks" section before you do. You will learn a lot about what not to do in there.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Gee, I'm suprised nobody said, "Don't forget the plug."

...Bob in Calif...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

your statement was "I have no idea how to tow it!" So what exactly are you worried about? If you don't know how to hook the trailer to the truck, that's one issue. If it's how to back up drive (including backing up) with a trailer in tow, that's another. If it's what to do when you get to the water that's yet another. If it's all of these, you really shouldn't go anywhere near a ramp until you've mastered the "towing part of the equation". Only someone with experience can help you with that. Check at your work, neighbors with boats, contstruction guys generally tow trailers. Just because you happen to have a boat doesn't make towing significantly different. Then there is the boat itself. Before you splash it, you should take a boating course to help you learn the rules of the road and by all means have someone go with you the first couple of times to help you with basic boat operation.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to make a couple assumptions here. If this is yoiur first boat, and you don't knowhow to trailer it, how much do you know about driving it?

You've got a relatively large boat, and in your area, and I'd guess you're going to take it onto Big Water (anything other than a small inland lake or river). Based on your question, I'm assuming you really don't have a lot of experience boating, especially on Big Water.

Since you want to trailer it to water and it's in dry storage, I assume that it's not at a marina.

So here are some suggestions:

1) Take a boating safety course, usually offered by Coast Guard Auxiliary or Power Squadron. Especially with a boat that size and big water potential, this is critical. And I bet that another boater and/or instructor either would help youi or know someone who would be glad to.

2) If you just bought the boat and it's been in dry storage, did you have it inspected to make sure it's seaworthy? If not, do it now, before you splash it.

3) A boat that size *can* be trailered, but it's not simple. You may want to hiring a marina to haul it and splash it for you. All told, this may actually be a cheaper alternative.

4) If you don't consider yourself an accomplished boater (and based on your question, I suspect you don't), then you might want to either find a good friend who is, or hire a captain to teach you even more practical stuff beyond the safe boating course ... things specific to your boat, like how to dock it.

5) If I misread your situation and you know how to boat etc but just not how to pull a trailer, you need to *practice* this. An empty parking lot -- a factory, a shopping center, etc -- can be a good place at an off time. It might be wise to borrow ot rent a trailer just to practice before you hook up a trailer for that big a boat.

You may well know friends that can help you with all of this, from your work, church, neighborhood, even from iBoats forum:cool:

CATransplant

Admiral

Go to any of the marinas near Oxnard and talk to them. They'll know of transportation folks who will gladly tow and launch your boat for a fee. That's the only safe way to proceed.

Launching your 27' boat is not the same as launching somone's bass boat. You need a pro to help you with this one.

You might be able to do this yourself, with a helper, but it's not a one-person job, unless you're really experienced.

I wouldn't deal with a volunteer for this. Pay someone who has experience and insurance for this launch. Any marina can help you with your quest.

Do you have a berth for the boat, or were you planning to launch it each time you use it? If the latter, you won't be using that boat much, I guarantee.

Again, hire someone to help you this time, and make sure they have insurance. They'll use their vehicle to tow and launch, and there will be a couple of people.

CATransplant

Admiral

For anyone questioning my advice that she hire someone to launch this thing, see the photo of her model boat:

1518951_1.jpeg

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

I totally agree with cat

mlukich

Seaman Apprentice

Wow that's a big boat for a "newb"...

Get some help - best to be professional with insurance, etc. Basically what CAT said... can't stress the need for experienced help when going big water for the first time...

Good luck.

Mark

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I have been following this post for the past few days, and all I would say is if you were anywhere on the West coast of Florida, I would be glad to help.
Doesn't seem as if any local California forum guys or gals have stepped up as yet.
It would also be a necessity that it be someone with the knowledge and experience to get you in the water and on your way.
Absolutely don't think about trying this on your own or with someone who is just "helpful". Who knows, someone may step up soon. Good luck!!

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is quite a boat to start with. Nothing else from the OP yet.

mymako21

Cadet

Towing a boat is probably the easiest part of the entire process, I mean once your trailer is attached to your vehicle you simply need to drive around an empty parking lot for awhile to get used to it being there. Once you have that down the best parts are yet to come. That is putting your boat in the water and getting it out, that is where the real work is. All you can do is practice, practice practice, backing up is a trip, the opposite of what you think, you have to train your mind to react. Then when you have this down, you have to know how far down the ramp you need to go, to little and you wont lauch to much and you launch you boat, trailer and vehicle. You have to really know what your doing because other boaters will not be so accomodating if you take to long to launch or remove your boat. So now you get to the best part, getting the boat on and off the trailer, if your alone you better be able to see through your bow to the trailer hook. For that you may want to buy an automatic hook up system, so all you have to do is drive the boat up the trailer and it hooks up on its own. I saw a nifty system called the Snapper on a website www.fishingvideonetwork.com , never saw the product before until then. Really makes trailer boat hook up a breeze, check it out.