Changing a 25 horsepower to 20 horsepower

ktate

Recruit
I have a 25 horsepower Johnson motor. Can you change the carb to make it a20 HP.

Thanks

Last edited:

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Changing a 25 horsepower to 20 horsepower

Hmm...well, the cowlings are the same for the two engines of those years, so, I suppose you could put a 20hp cowling on it and forget it or even a set of 20hp decals. Trouble is, the plate on the outboard will still give the model number.

Even if you put the 20 hp carb on it, the plate would still be there, telling whoever checked the boat that it was a 25hp.

Tough dilemma. If you're going to boat primarily on the restricted lakes, you might just want to sell the 25 and buy a 20. I don't know.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

How closely do they check the motors ????

mthieme

Captain

Why don't you just change the sticker on motor.

With Mercury, it's the same engine, one is rated for more rpm.

I thought PA had a 10 hp limit on the lakes?

hammerhandle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

from a johnson repair service manual Quote " If lake or boat restrictions require a motor with a maximum of 20 hp, a Johnson Restrictor Kit can be isntalled on 1977 and earlier 25 hp models. this low cost kit is installed behind the carburetor and reduces both power and fuel consumption. The kit is available at your dealer.------- not sure if they make them for your year but may want to try a dealer , my repair manual is from 1982.I would also contact the DNR for Penn.and see what there take would be on it since its so close to a 20 hp. you might be able to retrofit something too.just my 2 cents. cheers !

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wow. first time I have heard of someone trying to lower the hp of their engine, most folks want to up it all the time. That's good of you to be so diligent.

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

That is unique! I had to change powerheads on a Evin. 30hp to 35hp (with minor fabrication it's a sleeper!). If I'm quoting Chinewalker correct, If you change the cyl. head, that drops the compression ratio, which in turn, drops the hp rating.... All that's not worth it. Between decals and heads, it's just a "headache"

~FB~