omc 3.0l broke belt

wvwarlock

Seaman Apprentice
fan belt started squealing yesterday and before could get back to dock the belt broke. carefully watched gauges and no overheating but took 15 minutes or so to get back in. my question is... does the pump in the drive circulate the entire engine system and all or is there also a pump on the motor that would not have been woking due to belt breaking? just wondering if i need to check anything as i replace the or should all be ok?
thanks again

jp89bayliner

Seaman
Re: omc 3.0l broke belt

The engine does have a water circulation pump mounted on the front of the engine that the belt does turn. I also think that is a little odd the motor did not start to get a little hot. Also when replacing that belt if your engine combo is the one were you have to un bolt the motor mount I would zip tie a second belt away from any moving objects for future servicing.

You should always carry a spare belt with you on board, atleast I do if i have any issues. Good luck.

wvwarlock

Seaman Apprentice

this was only the third time that i had my new to me boat on the water. the temp when running wot is normally about 160 but when i realized the belt broke, i backed it down to about 2000 rpm and just eased it back to the dock. i never went over 160 when easing back in. the normal temp at idle is about 120 to 130. do these seem normal range?
the idea of putting a second belt under the mount tied out of the way is a great suggestion and i will be doing that this weekend when i replace he belt. i am still assembling some spare parts for a onboard tool box so i will add a belt in there also. any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Turn all the pulleys that the belt drives by hand. They should all turn smooth with little or no drag, with the exception of the crank of course. The sqealing belt prior to failing may mean you have a bad bearing in the alt, power steering if you have it or the circulating pump, etc.

chiefalen

Captain

If it is a omc its older than 17 years. Might be rusted pulleys. Sand them clean.

It could also mean a old belt, or alternator froze up. Take off the alternator and bring it in to auto zone or pep boys to test under load.

Do tie up a spare belt.

Hows the water pump it easy to turn?

Good luck!