Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Sell 'em

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Wait until they rot, then mail 'em to my congressman

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Just wondering what everyone does with the fish they catch...

Last edited:

mthieme

Captain
Re: What do you do with your catch?

The only fish I eat out of the Chesapeake Bay are Rockfish in spring.
Crabs are a severe weakness though!

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a catch and release guy. I catch and release 'em into the Crisco Bay.... :D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

We keep enough for a meal and release the rest.

captlee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I catch and release them into my cooler :p :D

I only take what I need and maybe a few for friends and family. Towards the end of the season Ill freeze some.

angus63

Captain

Pinhooking on a food fish permit

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

I practice fillet and release.

:D

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I'm a catch and release guy. People assume because I grew up next to the Atlantic Ocean in Eastern Canada I MUST be either the spawn of a commercial fisherman or can't get enough of it to eat.

To be honest, I can't stand eating much beyond a tuna sandwich.

Besides, I love to fish and that big bass you let go this season will hopefully be even bigger next season.

D

DJ

Probably about 10% keep. Never keep the big breeders though.

90% release.

I keep every edible fish that I can catch...then I will freeze the rest for dinner or lunch next week :)

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

We have lots of size and season limits on our fish, however I still only bring back what I plan on eating the next night or two. Not braggin (sure!) but seem to do pretty good on the spots I have saved. I may not always limit out, but never get skunked. :)

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Fish are a large part of our diet. We vacuum pack and freeze most of our fish. (Salmon, Halibut & Rockfish) Some of the Salmon we can in mason jars for sandwiches. We also give fish away to family.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Usually catch and release unless it is a good tasting fish and in the slot size.
Seems like most fish have slot sizes now a days.

Sometimes it is hard to catch the slot size so all of the fish have to be released.

Exception is Specks, during the cool months of winter here in Florida I will catch all I can and freeze the best tasting freshwater fish there is. Then eat on them all summer long.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Unless I've heard of a recent contamination in the lake I'm fishing, they will most definately be made into a meal. All saltwater keepers come home to meet the family.

john51277

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will usually keep a limit. 5 trout, 5 grouper. I do not get out a lot and when I do catch a limit, I will keep and freeze for a family fish fry!

hazwild

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am a catch and release guy unless it is so big that i can't give back.thats why i say i am catch and release :p

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I caught a pair of 22" Redfish on Sunday, plus a speckled trout and five catfish. I don't eat the catfish but have friends who do, so I gave them away. I had Redfish for supper last night, and will finish what is left of it tomorrow night. The Speck was small, so I will probably make a snack of it later this evening.

I release fish that are under legal size, or are too big for my taste (big Reds really aren't all that great to eat), but could never understand the "catch & release" thing. LOL - all I can think of is one ticked off fish talking to another .... "yeah, I was mindin' my own business, eatin' some shrimp and this moron hooked me, dragged me all over the place, ripped a hook out of my mouth (man, did that hurt!), and then threw me back in the water! What is up with that?" :p

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I release fish that are under legal size, or are too big for my taste (big Reds really aren't all that great to eat), but could never understand the "catch & release" thing. LOL - all I can think of is one ticked off fish talking to another .... "yeah, I was mindin' my own business, eatin' some shrimp and this moron hooked me, dragged me all over the place, ripped a hook out of my mouth (man, did that hurt!), and then threw me back in the water! What is up with that?" :p

:D:D:D That's funny!

serrano4657

Cadet

Catch and release, since I don't eat fish. My friend caught a Calfornia stingray on saturday, and I felt bad so I pulled out the hook and the dam thing stung me. I spent about 2-1/2 hours at the harbor sheriff station soaking my hand in hot water. I should of kept the stingray and had it stuffed.:mad:

greenhorn1

Seaman Apprentice

we eat them

Last edited: