More Fun at the Ramp

mthieme

Captain
Well, my neighbor and I were yanking our boats this evening due to Hannah impending. He was using his truck. Those short trailers are tough to backup up to begin with, and he was jackknifing all over the place. I was teasing him that I should have a picture and post it on iBoats as he frequents hereabouts too. He's a great guy and for some reason I rag on him probably too much. I'm blessed with really great neighbors. Noone could ask for better. Everyone is quick to lend a hand and not worry what's on the other side of the fence.
Well, hope he finds this and gets a chuckle.

Shizzy

Ensign
Re: More Fun at the Ramp

its your duty as a good friend to ask if its his first time backing a trailer. I expect the same of my friends :p

mthieme

Captain

Nope. He's seasoned which of course makes it all the better.

Adrift

Seaman Apprentice

Those short trailers are tough to backup up to begin with,

You've got that right; you have to watch those things like a hawk.

Earlier this year I was backing down my single axle to launch. Get to the water line and think OK trailer straight, truck straight, I'll just relax, look forward and back the rest of the way in. Get out of the truck and the trailer's at a 25 degree angle. How did that happen?! Anyway the ramp (dual lane) was empty and it was pointed away from the dock so we just launched it that way.

I'll never "give up" on that trailer again.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea, it really annoys me when I do dumb things like that.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

First time I used our GMC Jimmy to recover the boat was an absolute nightmare !!!! Really long ramp, it was dusk and darkening by the minute and that spare wheel bolted to the tailgate meant I could not see the trailer. Door mirrors were in such a position that as soon as I could see the trailer in them it was already to late !!!
It looked like it was my first time and was very embarrasing !!! Going in was easy as I could see the boat but recovery with the trailer alone was just plain awful !!!!
I now remove the spare before recovering and it now looks like I have done it many times before !!!!
Trouble was it was a really long ramp as well !!!! Good job it was a double wide with nobody else on it.

tinman565

Seaman

Next time...PUT THE TAILGATE DOWN. :rolleyes: Or, go to your local bike store and buy one of those flexible fiberglass flags (about 4 feet long ? ), shorten it to your needs, and glue a large magnet to it. When your getting ready to load the boat...pull out your handy-dandy flag, and stick it to the back of the trailer corner. Now you can see perrrrrrrrrrrfectly sir. ;)

mthieme

Captain

No need to yell. The thread isn't that serious.
Told him about the tailgate, but he said last time stuff rolled out.

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

trust me, there's nothing wrong with a crooked trailer at the ramp. BUt, only when no one is looking. Especially firends.

Great thread and an even better friend.

mthieme

Captain

We're gonna be dunking them back in the drink today now that Hanna has passed. Of course it's easier to see loaded, so it should be less of a problem.
I'll have to remember to throw the camera in the truck.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Been there, done that. Sometimes it looks like I know what I am doing (all to seldom) other times I am all over the place and just want to get it launched.

That being said, where are the pictures? :)

freddyray21

Commander

I have a friend of mine who puts his boat in the spring and pulls it out in the fall. He doesn't have a lot of practice and takes up three ramp lanes to get there, but he gets it done.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Always amazed at the difference between my 30' travel trailer (easy to back up), my 20' boat trailer (takes some concentration, but not bad) and my 10' utility trailer(man is that thing a ***** to back up at the dump).

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Our open car trailer is easy as cake to back up with my dads reg cab short box F150, but tough to do with my ex cab short box F250...