200hpdi....leaving ign switch on....

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My setup is a dual station, single engine 200hpdi (2001) with the second station on the upper helm, on a 22v Pathfinder.

The lower station has the normal keyed ingnition/start switch and the upper has pushbutton on/off switches. For the engine to be started at the upper station, the lower, main, switch must be on.
My question is: is it ok to leave the lower switch on for extended periods? There are times when the key is on while I'm up in the tower with the motor off and I don't know if it could either damage the ignition system or perhaps use battery energy unneccesarily.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 200hpdi....leaving ign switch on....

I would rather see you slip down and shut it off, anytime the key switch is ON the engine systems,except the fuel pump in the VST, are powered up.
not only can they overheat due to no cool air coming in it draws about 5 amps just sitting.

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Rodbolt....that's exactly what I needed to know. Even though I'm 62 years old this year I'll "slip" down (it's actually more like I'm doing it by contortion and moans and groans!) and turn the switch off.

If you've ever in Tampa let me know and we can get some snook and reds on the line.

Tony

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I know the feeling,slipping out of the tower on my 22 seapro sounds easy but its a pain :).
but with my F150 I will just simply let the engine run .
not really reccomended on an HPDI as with extended idle times they tend to foul plugs.