7.5 HP '70s Sears Motor

jl02373

Recruit
Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum so please, if this question has been asked or answered elsewhere, just point me in the right direction.

I have a 7.5hp Sears outboard from the 70's. It was my father's motor and hasn't been started in probably 15-20 years. It has at most 15-20 hours on it total. I have no experience working on gas powered motors, but understand generally how it works. I know its probably a bad idea to even attempt to start it before doing some work on it. Is there a general list of things i should check on the motor? I know it does take Leaded fuel, so i will have to get a mix for that. But, basically, I would like to start using the motor, where would I start? I have the original manual(well, most of it).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 7.5 HP '70s Sears Motor

Well, not much harm can come to that outboard by trying to fire it up. You'll want to replace the water pump impeller, but the engine itself is air-cooled, so just firing it up won't cause any immediate harm. You should, however, run it in a barrel of some kind, with water up about halfway up the leg of the outboard.

You don't need leaded fuel. You never needed leaded fuel for that outboard. Mix good quality two-stroke oil with your fuel, at the ratio specified in the manual.

If the carburetor was run dry the last time it was run, it'll probably start for you. With the lower unit in water, it should spray a mixture of water and exhaust out of the holes in the midsection, if the impeller is working, which it probably will be.

If the carburetor was left with the float chamber full of fuel, then you'll have to clean the carb before it will run.

Some parts are available from www.searspartsdirect.com. You'll need the model number off the plate near the transom mount. Other parts can be obtained from www.certifiedpartscorp.com. Again, you'll need the model number, and you have to call the phone number at that site and talk to someone, since they don't have a complete parts list on the site.

If it doesn't start, get back to us with details of what you tried.

jl02373

Recruit
Re: 7.5 HP '70s Sears Motor

Thank you for your quick, and informative response. This should be enough to get me started. I will see what I can do over the next week or so, and I will be sure to reply back with any successes/failures.

Thanks again.