Please help..Why would water hose break/pop?

acupajoe

Seaman
Got stranded last night...not fun. 1st. WHy would the hose just pop right in the middle. A lot of pressure for some reason. Maybe thermostat? Got it run for a little bit shut it down due to bilge water rising from hose leaking. I did have some electrical tape and held with rag while son drove. After stoping starting a few times engine finally would not start. It would crank but thats it. Wet distrib or something. Please help I am so tired of this boat, as it is my first.

Thanks.

Joe

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Please help..Why would water hose break/pop?

Which hose, what engine, closed cooling or raw water cooled?

acupajoe

Seaman

Sorry...Mercruiser 120 hose I guess from thermostat to block. The one on the left and not going to exhaust mani.

Thanks

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It sounds like you are talking about the hose from the transom (outdrive) to the thermostat housing. That's the supply hose. It's hard to tell why it "popped" - but hoses do go bad. It could just be age or a manufacturing defect. You might want to make sure it is not rubbing on something hot or sharp. I doubt it is from any kind of blockage... but I've been wrong before. I would simply suggest replacing it and seeing if the engine is okay. If water water spraying around, you are probably right about the distributor getting wet -I would suggest pulling the cap and making sure it is dry.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

that hose shouldn't be under tooo much pressure. It probably won't hurt to replace the t stat while your in there. Just outa curiousity... is the spring still in the hose or did someone rip it out?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Okay, different hose than I was talking about. That goes from the water pump to the thermostat housing, correct? (For future reference, just to make it easier to undertand, it is less confusing to use "starboard and port" instead of "right and left").

Has the engine been running hot? I've never heard of a hose popping off like that due to pressure, but I suppose if you have some serious restrictions in the flow it could.

acupajoe

Seaman

Spring was still there. I am changing the thermo over. Sorry about the left right thing..No one carries the hose around here, can I go to auto place and match up??

acupajoe

Seaman

An was not running hot...until now.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What's your setup? If it's a Cobra, then you won't find the hose off the shelf at an auto parts store. The transom end of that hose has a flared end. You can try Napa. They will special order it for you. Also, replace all the hose clamps. Just because they look ok, doesn't mean that it's not about to fail. I change mine every other season. Cheap insurance.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The only reason that hose will come off because of pressure is if the manifold or elbow is blocked....

Chris.......

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sorry for the issues man! Doesn't sound like fun. This reminds me, I need to replace my hoses. When I squeeze any of them, I can feel/hear the inside crackle. Anyhow, you should check all your hoses while your at it.

Good luck.!

45Auto

Commander

If it was the original hose it probably split just from being old. Figure it's what, 25 or 30 years old? I had the same hose split on my 1980 120. Luckily I was only about 3 miles from the ramp so I wrapped it wirh electrical tape and idled back. It would blow the electrical tape apart at anything over idle.

Couldn't find anything close in the automotive world to match up. Had to order the real hose.

Check for a clogged riser and engine overheating.