lower unit crack

bigmoose123

Cadet
Ijust bought a boat that has a 71' evinrude 60. under closer inspection i found a small hair line crack on the lower unit doesent seem to leak oil but not sure oil level is good but don't want to take any chances on water getting in. what would be the best and most inexpensive fix. also i havent messed with boat motors much and am not sure what oil to use in lower unit or how to put in. i was told from the bottom drain hole. if so whats the easiest way to do this. thanks for any help i can get...:

freddyray21

Commander
Re: lower unit crack

it depends on where the crack is. I have had some luck JB welding them. You have to get all the lube out and get the crack clean. A little rough up with a dremel tool and then JB weld.

bigmoose123

Cadet

thanks i was thinking about the j b fix.also need to know about filling and what lube type to use????

Haywood123

Seaman

I second the JB Weld. They have a stick of epoxy that you knead in your hand that they claim is supposed to be better, but I think I would still go with the 2 part epoxy.

MillBubb

Seaman Apprentice

Electric shift?
TashasDaddy wrote: "You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Premium Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube) "

There is a cool pump that screws into the quart container, it has a tube that screws into the lower drain plug. (Seen one a Walmart once). Get new Nylon Washers before you do this. (PN# 0311598). Remove both lower and top plugs to drain. Attach pump to lower fill hole and pump untill fluid runs out top hole. Replace top plug-this will keep the fluid from poring out and give you enough time get the hose off the bottom and install it's plug.