1988 Bayliner Capri, Possible Restore

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have idle hands and a decent amount of free time so I have decided to take up restoring a boat vise dumping money into one that is already running. There are always alot of people getting rid of "free" boat hulls so after sorting through them all I found a 1988 Capri 15 footer. I know that there will be alot of work involved in any project that I undertake so I am trying not to dive in "blindly".

The '88 Capri caught my attention right off due to the fact that it was an I/O but still only 15' in length. I like the lines and I think that with the right amount of work it will be a very nice "first project".

I have been cruising through alot of Iboat posts and have discovered the inherrant [nightmares] of restoring boats...especially 80's Bayliners. I heard about the bad transoms, stringers and flooring. I suppose I am ready to undertake all that.

Here is my major delima, I have scoured all over and have not been able to identify the type of motor/outdrive combination that is native to this boat. The previous owner says that it was a "Force" I/O. This coincides with what alot of the bayliner posts read, however most people are sporting Force outboards.

Is my only option to find an original Force I/O combo or can I put in another comparable motor/outdrive combination?

Last, am I wasting my time?...should I continue to look for a different hull to restore or is this going to be just like any other; tons of money with no hopes of recouping it all. If so I would at least like the looks of the boat I am restoring as it is not for financial gains.

Also, If anyone has pictures of a complete 1988 Bayliner Capri WITH the I/O setup, will you please be kind enough to send me a couple or post them here? I would love to see what it is going to look like at completion (if I chose to begin)

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

-DrCox, First Time poster

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
'88 Bayliner Project, Excuse Repost

'88 Bayliner Project, Excuse Repost

All,

I apologize for the repost, After posting in the "Bayliner Boats" forum I realized that there is far more activity in this thread pertaining to my question. Hopefully this is not against the forum TOS.

Original Post:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=275351
Thanks in advance again for any help

-DrCox

EDIT: merged post to make things easier.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Bayliner Capri, Possible Restore

Hey Doc,

What you have there is the dreaded 'L' drive. What Bayliner tried to do was mate an outboard powerhead to a gimbled lower unit. Didn't work worth a hoot. They were in production for a very limited amount of years ( maybe three) and then stopped. Guess they figured that was enough.

I think you'd really be wasting your time and money on that contraption.

No, there have been several attempts to match a different powerhead to that lower unit but the configuration is such that it requires a major amount of retooling, etc.

Better off to keep looking around for anything but that setup. Even diehard Bayliner owner's frown on that one.

As a side note the boats themselves have some serious good looks - but that is nothing more than a smokescreen for that particular setup.

Keep looking !!!!!!!

noahnsteph

Seaman

Since you'll probably need to replace the transom anyway you could always convert it to an outboard and give yourself a little more interior space for seating.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ditto on the "L" drive....

i would NEVER dissuade any one from a resto on any boat......

but.......that package is trouble....

i own a bayliner...89 capri....and ll be re-doing it soon.......

im the first one to bash older bayliners.....(the newer ones are said to be great......) but after they are rebuilt to iboats standards....they can be fantastic boats.....

but that L drive means you might want to search for a different candidate boat :(

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I am glad that I put this out here. No wonder it was such a pain finding information on a power plant.

I do have a question though, since I will obviously be re-working the transom and other guts of the boat, what are the chances of changing out the motor/outdrive combination completely?

I continue to search Iboats and the web for a basic drawing or diagram on how an inboard motor interfaces with an outdrive unit. I am a newbie of course when it comes to boats but in my head (cobwebs and all hehe) I picture gutting the old area where the motor mounts are currently at and perhaps refitting for a completely new motor.

Having to replace the transom means I can easily fashion a new cut out for the coupling (gimbal?) from the new motor to the outdrive as well as out drive mounting holes.

The first thing of course would be to ensure that I pick a motor that meets coast guard standards ( I was reading the .pdf that someone posted for regulations regarding custom boat building). Also I am obviously constrained a bit by size.

I am fully prepared to rebuild an engine (might be the only thing I have experience with) and willing to learn about rebuilding outdrives. I have found things like a VOLVO PENTA small 4 cylinder with an outdrive that needs to be rebuilt for as little as $350.

Thanks again for the insight on this project, I just want to make sure that all m options (even heavy work loads) are considered before I make my choise on any hull.

Regards,

-DrCox

oops!

Supreme Mariner

interesting situation......

if you have the budget for a repower......then by all means yes.....you can do anything to the boat you want....heck.....make it longer and add a cuddy.

understand.....you will be into the project for 17k by the time you repower....so thats why we suggested to find another candidate boat.....but if you want to do that one and have the budget.......

we will of course help in any way we can.

i suggest to read the compleated projects forum.....
the hull extension thread
the stickey on safety at the top of the forum
and the thread called confused about cloth and matt.

if you are re powering the boat.....you will need to build a motor cage.....there is picks in the hull ext thread.....or erikgreens unintentional stringer job

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and btw...doc....

welcome to i boats :)

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Oops, and all.

I am going to go ahead and put this post to rest. I am not looking to make my first project make me hate life entirely. :)

-DrCox

hemidoc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Oops, and all.

I am going to go ahead and put this post to rest. I am not looking to make my first project make me hate life entirely. :)

-DrCox

Anotherone bits the dust(B-liner project that is).
Bummed cause I feel like I'm the loner who managed to get his B-liner project on the water. OTOH mine had a recently rebuilt OMC 800 and a "running" 305

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

interesting situation......
+
understand.....you will be into the project for 17k by the time you repower....so thats why we suggested to find another candidate boat.....but if you want to do that one and have the budget.......
if you are re powering the boat.....you will need to build a motor cage.....there is picks in the hull ext thread.....or erikgreens unintentional stringer job

cheers
oops

I am not sure how this comes to 17k. This is scaring me the most. I am so un-educated on re-fitting that I think I need some good old fashion schooling.

1.) Cost per (unit of measure) For fiber glass?
2.) Why do I need to build a motor cage? Why Can I not either use existing motor mounts, or fashion new ones to accomidate a SMALL 4cyl inboard.

Thanks again Oops!. From the look of your hull extension project I am very lucky that you have the time to drop me a couple lines here! Keep up the good work.

-DrCox

oops!

Supreme Mariner

didnt mean to scare you......

the glassing and re fit of the boat with out motor and drive can be done for about $1500.

if you can find another bayliner or simelar boat with a merc or volvo drive, and go with used parts....then you can do it on the cheap.....say 3 grandish above the glass costs. that means $4500 before upholstery.

if you go new motor/drive ........the motor will be an easy 4k (4 cyl) drive at 1500........gimbal....transom plate trim pump.....another 3k

then wiring....gauges....(the us marine ones outta older b-liners tend to break easy) and toys for your new boat.....(toys means depth/fish finder ect)........

then add uph and canvas.....3k .....paint .....and misc.....it can easily come out to 13-17k......

but you will have a brand new boat that is stronger than any other b-liner around.....

as far as redoing the motor cage.....i think the L drive was a different setup than a standard 4 cyl.......but glassing a motor cage is a minor endeavour.
you just add some thicker stringers in the he area and glass over them.....

one of our i boaters by the name of robj did a boat that is just about the same hull as a capri.... he did his for $4500.....(he had the motor and drive.).......and that boat is beauteful.......i saw it this summer docked with a bunch of 50-60k boats and it looked like it belonged there.....

so doc....thats how the money breaks down.....one thing....when doing a resto.......you buy the supplies as you need...$100 bucks a pail of resin...then a bit later....another 300 for paint... hurts a lot less than forking over 13k right off the bat......
6 months later......and your boating :)

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK Oops, that sounds alot better. I can see how it all adds up. Man there is so much to learn.

I have spent a few hours each day for the last week trying to check out everything that is running through my head... Actually posting has given me a ton of info heading in the right direction.

Thanks again Oops and Iboats community!
Off to do more reading...

-DrCox

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

DrCox,

If you are looking for a used project boat, look for the pre-86 year Bayliners. Those were made prior to Brunswick buying Bayliner and cutting corners to make the boats cheaper.

I found a 16' 1985 Bayliner Cuddy Cabin with trailer and original outboard motor for about $1800 that was garage kept. Shines nice, runs good. I have replaced the steering cable, rebuilt one carborator, new trailer wheel bearings and replaced a few stripped out screws on interior trim. No rot, not much wear to speak of. Probably spent less than $200 on the boat since buying it (not including the hard top I'm making for it). And it will fit in my garage.

Ph2007-06-23BaylinerBoat00000.jpg

Keep an eye out on Craigslist and news papers in your area. There are lots of smaller inexpensive boats that were garage kept that will be in great condition for the money, and have you boating in no time. You then spend your time just doing regular maintenance, rather than a complete rebuild. Its a lot less effort, time and money to buy and install new replacement parts for broken or warn parts (gauges, switches, upholstry, etc) on a solid boat, than it is to replace the floor, transom and stringers in a cheap rotten boat.

As a new boater, I would stay away from ebay as a source of used boats. Take your time and look at boats that were obviously well maintaned and garage kept.

Good luck!

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mark,

Thanks for the tips. I must first say that I cannot believe that your boat is a 1985, it is beautiful.

I have toyed with the idea of doing like you said, I perhaps might just compromise between the two. I just really want that sense of satisfaction of skimming along the water knowing that I played a major part in making it happen.

Thanks again for your pic!

-DrCox

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well Gents (and ladies as applicable)

I have decided to go ahead and pick up the 15' bayliner capri. I have weighed the advice and done the rough math.

Here is what it looks like:

BoatandTrailer.jpg

Plan:

1.) Empty my garage of a 2002 Bayliner Capri (friends)
2.) Take a bunch of pictures and post them here
3.) Put it in garage
4.) Put boat on blocks and pull out trailer for repair/refinishing
5.) tear out decks and asses work needed to be done
6.) Devote the better part of my off work life to this beast
7.) Take it out on the water...

Obviously some gaps in the plan:), but with the help of you all at Iboats and alot of reading maybe by spring I will be ready to actually float it.

By the way...Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the boat off of the trailer once it is in my garage (besides building a monsterous scaffolding)?

More pics to follow, Wish Me Luck!

-DrCox

oops!

Supreme Mariner

bow down low.....blocks under transom....bow up high....blocks under keel....move trailer and so on.........

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Again Oops. By the way, how the heck do you type after all that sanding, glassing, painting...just down right labor?

I would be dictating it to a secretary and having her do all the work hehe :)

-DrCox

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

That Capri is an L drive, right? So you are going to convert it to an outboard? Post some pictures of the drive, the transom outside and inside. If I remember right, the transom on L drive boats have an unusual shape.

Generally speaking, the easiest way to convert to an outboard is to add the needed support to the transom and bolt on an outboard bracket. Then mount the outboard on the bracket. But I don't know how well outboard brackets will fit on a L drive shapped hull.

????

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes mark, it is an "L" drive. There is no motor or outdrive included with this. My plan was to cut out the entire old transom and glass in a new one, undecided yet if it is going to be a standard flat back or a contoured one like the picture posted below:

prospectivenewtransom.jpg

Not really sure yet though. I like the idea of having those 2 small back seats, especially in a 15 footer. This may be too mcuh of a pain in the butt though to fabricate, what do you think?