1986 Johnson 140 VRO missing spark on 1 cylinder

rhahn57

Recruit
Hi All,

Enjoy this forum and hope someone can help me with a mystery. I picked up a mechanically perfect 140 with a cooked harness and ignition. Picked up a complete electrical and swapped everything out. Once I buttoned it up, I noted I had no fire on #3. Swapped the coil wire to another cylinder and the spark went right along with it so that eliminates the coil/plug wire/plug. Then I stripped back the coil wire itself where it came out of the CDI and jumpered it back to the coil. Still nothing. Figure it is not the charge coil soince I do have fire on the other three. ALso, prior experience tends to make me believe it is not the CDI itself since they were generally an all or nothing proposition back when I worked on them for a paycheck. Assuming I am on the right path here, that leads me to the sensor coil. Problem here is my book only troubleshoots dual powerpack systems and this is a single with a 5-wire sensor harness. Does anyone have the proper way to check this sensor coil setup? Wires appear to be white/black/green/pink/purple.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 1986 Johnson 140 VRO missing spark on 1 cylinder

White wire is common, meter lead to common, meter lead to 1 of the other 4 wire, about 1 volt ac scale, all should be same. You need a peakeading meter
to read factory specs.

RookieinMass

Cadet
Re: 1986 Johnson 140 VRO missing spark on 1 cylinder

I have exactly the same engine with a similar problem. Do a search for "DMM"" on the Johnson/Evinrude board and read through the posts. Good information there.

How difficult was the internal wiring harness to replace?

Did you have to pull the flywheel?