skeeter hull damage

jonnyred

Cadet
hi, the black thing coming through the hull is a storage box on the boat. any ideas of how to deal with this. do I have to lay some fiberglass on the top of the hull as well? cut the corner of the box out? ant ideas? thanks-j

Attachments

• 100_0191-1.jpg
    100_0191-1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
  • th_100_0197.jpg
    th_100_0197.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 0

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Re: skeeter hull damage

What year/model is that boat? Looks like a double hull. It looks like a pretty big hole too. 8-12 inches?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It can be fixed from the outside, I'm a little too tired to type it all out right now though, I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

jonnyred

Cadet

Hi, thanks for the help. I think its a 1988. 19ft Skeeter hull# STED6037J788. The sanded part is about 10 to 12 inches in diameter.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

I'd say more like it can be "patched" from the outside.
How'd it get there?
Just seen too many late 80's Skeeters lately that have been rotten rotten rotten.

jonnyred

Cadet

Just got the boat, someone had tried to fix it before. I think it is from(thin hulled skeeter) walking or riding on the deck. The storage box is built right on top of the inside of the hull, which looks like the hull is an inch thick at this spot. the other side of the boat appears to have stress cracks in the same spot.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

That part had me a little concerned, I was hoping there was more space between the box and hull. I was going to suggest making sure the repair didn't come in contact with box by putting a piece of foam or cardboard over it. With it contacting the hull it will make it more difficult to "patch" it.

To do it right the box should be raised, this may mean cutting the box and removing an inch from the side wall. Do it to both boxes at the same time and you'll be able to forget about it. Cutting the box will make the repair much easier to do and most of it can be done from the inside now, it just adds the hassle of reconnecting the sections of the box.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

I wonder if the box was adding support to the deck? If you push up on the box from below does the deck move too?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

That's a good question. You may need to build the hull up a little thicker than it was before so it can hold the weight of the deck without cracking if it does need the support.

jonnyred

Cadet

It does not seem to move at all, thanks for the tips. were going to start glassing tomorrow hopefully. Ill post some pics as it gets patched.