Not sure what shifter cable i need

jonnybska

Cadet
just bought an 80's open bow Orrion. Roughly 15ft long. It has an OMC 4cyl engine. But I am unable to find specs on the boat so I can purchase some needed parts here on iboats. Is there a way to find out? i am looking for a shifter cable for the OMC 4cyl. engine. I believe it is electrical the piece that mounts on the engine has contacts. This boat will be for my sea scout program so first and foremost i need safety. Are the 79' - 82' parts interchangeable?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Chuck

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Not sure what shifter cable i need

OK, we're going to need more information from you on this. Can you tell us some of the numbers on the engine and outdrive? I have this sinking feeling that you may have an OMC SeaDrive on your boat. If that's the case, the cable you're talking about could be for the trim and tilt mechanism, rather than the gearcase.

But, I don't know. It could be something else. Give us whatever numbers you can find on the engine and drive. Photos of the engine and the drive will also be helpful. Closeups of the connection you're talking about, too.

Right now, we just plain don't have enough information. We need details...as many as you can give us. So go back to the boat, pull the engine cover off, write down any model numbers or other stuff you find on there, and take some close photos of the stuff you're asking about.

Since the company that made your boat went out of business after the 1982 model year, it's hard to know what boat you actually have. We need numbers from the plate on the boat and any other information you can provide.

We're happy to help you with your project, but you have to help us first by giving us more information. Words are cheap, so use plenty of them, OK?

CATransplant

Admiral

Wait a minute. I'm just assuming that this is an inboard/outboard powered boat. By any chance does it have an outboard motor on it?

Like I said, we need information. There are tons of 4-cylinder OMC engines out there. Which one do you have? We don't know until you tell us or show us in a photo.

jonnybska

Cadet

On the USCG plaque it says boat model "17 T" on the engine it says "14 OMC". I have some serial #'s and such. Also I think the cable I am looking for is the shift cable for the outdrive. I will try and take a few pics tomorrow. Thank you.

CATransplant

Admiral

If you have some numbers, post them, please. Words are cheap. Use more of them in your posts. We'd like to help, but you won't find many folks here who will keep asking you to post information over and over again.

Post every bit of information you have and we'll sort through it.

It sounds like your boat is a 17', not a 15' foot. There's a start. For us to help you, we need the information...all of it. Prying it out of you isn't going to happen.

Again, photos will help.

CATransplant

Admiral

Alrighty, then. If your engine and drive are marked OMC 14, then you have an old OMC Stringer drive. The early ones were powered by what is basically the 4-cylinder power head for one of their outboards. Later, they used other engines with the drive. A photo will tell us which one you have.

It is, indeed, an electric shift outdrive, so your cable probably is the shift cable. The controls on your boat, next to the seat, should have three pushbuttons for shifting.

You can see some background information at the site below:

http://hhscott.com/evinrude/omc_stringer.htm

Parts are going to be a serious problem for you, since this system became obsolete very quickly.

CATransplant

Admiral

Your boat appears to be a 1978 Orrion Eagle 17T, and that appears to be the only year it was made. I can't find any other year for that model. The 17TR, however, was made for four years, starting in 1979. Here's a page with a little bit of information, but not much:

http://www.iboats.com/Orrion_Boats__Eagle_17T__1978/bp/63b63150r2

Now, with some more of the information you have, we might be able to tell you more. Do you have the title or registration for the boat? If so, it should tell you the year of manufacture.

CATransplant

Admiral

OK, that's definitely a Stringer outdrive, but you do not have an OMC 14 unit. That reads 140, with the OMC in the 0. Different critter.

At this point, what I recommend is that you tow that boat down to a reputable dealer and have them look at it and tell you what model outdrive you have there, and ask them your questions.

That will save you a bunch of time, for sure.

OMC drives don't have a stellar reputation, and they're not made any longer. The electric shift ones are really, really, expensive to repair, but I'm not convinced that's what you have.

Again, take the whole thing to a good service place and ask your questions. You may need their services at some point in any case.

As for the boat itself...the hull...knowing what year it is and what model it is is not very important. If it's sound, you can use it as a boat, whatever its name.

The question is: Is it sound?

jonnybska

Cadet

Just wanted to say thank you for answering my newbie questions. The main one was what was the year make model of the boat and the engine type so i can get parts. But the earlier post answered it. The only thing i have to figure out is how do i hook up the forward reverse module since the wires were cut. But i can repost.

Thank you again.