Can't get the outdrive IN!!

pferreira

Cadet
Hi Friends,
Please bare with me on this one, I?m new at this boating thing!
I purchased a 1984 Four Winns Marquise 160 with a Mercury I/O Model MCM120 (120HP 4 cylinder) that seems to run good, but I need to install the outdrive (Alpha One) part in place? That?s where the problem starts! Unfortunately, I can?t seem to make the shaft go in all the way onto the motor making me believe the motor ?entrance? is not aligned with the bearing etc, etc.

I seem to have read some place in this forum, that it needs to be aligned using an alignment tool and the motor mount in order to make it able to go in? makes sense, but I figure I asked you the pros! :eek:

Also I have been told you don?t need to get an alignment tool, you can just loosen the motor mount, move it carefully and have someone on the other end push in the outdrive. That would be great because I would save $50 on renting the tool.:(

Another question is: Do I need to silicone the main big ?paper? gaket on the outdrive?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Peter

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can't get the outdrive IN!!

Also I have been told you don?t need to get an alignment tool
never listen to that person/s again. They are WRONG.
You need the alignment bar, if you have to spend 50 bucks to rent one, to to ebay and spend 40 to 60 bucks and BUY one.
Either get the alignment right, or prepare to pull the engine to replace that $300 coupler.
Always use new gaskets and seals when installing the outdrive. I't an $8 or 9 kit, and can save you hundreds in repairs,
Then, you REALLY need to get the OEM manuals for your engine and drive. Not Seloc or clymers unless you need fire starting material. Trust me, there are cheaper options for fire starters.

Go HERE
and download the manuals for your engine and drive. You need #3 and #4.
HUGE files, hope you have broad band.

pferreira

Cadet

Thank you!

I'll get the alignment bar! :)

I did purchase the gasket set... but do I still need to silicone also?

Thank you for your help.

Peter

pferreira

Cadet

Can't find any alignment bars on Ebay or on the net... Any ideas?

Peter

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Thank you!

I'll get the alignment bar! :)

I did purchase the gasket set... but do I still need to silicone also?

Thank you for your help.

Peter

I put the gasket on dry.... Some people put sealant on it, but it's a nightmare to remove when you need to put a new gasket on... You'll be replacing that gasket every year, so it makes more sense not to use sealer... Just make sure the surfaces are clean and flat.

Chris..........

pferreira

Cadet

Ok, I ordered the alignment tool, now let's see if I know how to use it!
Any TIPS from the pros?

Peter