NJ to PA tag quetsion

192classic

Recruit
Hello all,

Buying a boat from private party in NJ, i live in PA. How do i "legally" get the trailer home. It has no plates. Do i get a temp. tag here b4 i go get the boat? Should the seller get one in NJ for me? Whats the easiest way to transferr the titles. I'm affraid if i pick it up on the weekend there won't be a notary open.. Not sure with this out of state thing..

Any tips or comments appreciated

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: NJ to PA tag quetsion

Every state is different. Usually a bill of sale that is Notarized will get you home ok.
I would check to see if PA and NJ title boat trailers. Some states do and some don't.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

In NJ, a boat trailer does not have a title (although I got one when I bought a new trailer from a dealer). When registering a used trailer in NJ, a noterized bill of sale is needed. The bill of sale just lists the sellers name, address, vin number of the trailer, and sale price. With that document, you can register a trailer in your name in NJ. So, that is the most documentation you are likely to get when buying a trailer in NJ. Be sure to get it, as PA will probably require it when you go to register or title it.

192classic

Recruit

Boats in Pa Dont need titles, Boat trailers on the other hand Do need titles.
New Jersey boats Need titles, NJ boat trailers Dont need titles. So when the smoke clears, i have a boat title i don't need and NO title for the trailer.. what do i do?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Boats in Pa Dont need titles, Boat trailers on the other hand Do need titles.
New Jersey boats Need titles, NJ boat trailers Dont need titles. So when the smoke clears, i have a boat title i don't need and NO title for the trailer.. what do i do?

Stop at the local motor vehicle office and ask.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Getting it home is one thing. Titling and registering it is another.

Getting it home - Most states allow you to transport a newly purchased vehicle from the place you bought it to your home without title or registration provided you have a bill of sale in your posession. I believe in Illinois where I live you have 10 days from the date on the bill of sale. You will have to check this with either a LEO, or your state DMV.

Titling and registration - All states are different. You already mentioned that the trailer will need a title in PA and NJ they don't have titles. Your best answer will not come from the members from this forum, but from talking to your state DMV. Here in my state (Illinois), I have twice bought boats without getting a title for the trailer during purchase. I then titled and registered the trailer as a homemade trailer. Here that process is easy for a small trailer as no inspection is required for trailers 5,000 lbs and lower.

FusionFrank

Seaman Apprentice

I am nearly certain that you will need a title for the boat & trailer. When I bought my boat & trailer, they were already titled in Pa. It was a normal transfer like that of a car. My snowmobiles, when I bought them back in 2001 - none had titles. I had to bring a tracing of the serial #'s and were issued titles. It was explained to me at the time that all snowmobiles, ATV's, dirt bikes, boats etc. now require titles. I suggest you check with a notary. I use K.D. Smith Ins. Agency in Allentown. They are a notary and do boats, trailers, snowmobiles, ATV's & cars and also sell insurance. I have found them to be very helpful over the years and easy to work with. Their phone # is 610-797-1260. I am sure they will be able to answer your questions.​

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I went to the PA DMV site. That site says that they do not title or register boats at the PA DMV. Title and registration is handled by the PA Fish and Boat Commission. Take the link to the PA Fish and Boat Commission web site.

There you will find a link to a form you need to print and fill in and mail with the appropriate $$$ to the PA Fish and Boat Commission. http://www.fish.state.pa.us/boatreg.pdfThey only ask that you include "proof of ownership". In your case, that would be a notorized bill of sale from the NJ seller. They will issue a new title and registration.

I appears to be a simple process.

Have you gone online to PA Fish and Boat Commission and found that this process will not work for you?

medic181075

Seaman

This can always create a potential mess. I recently bought a boat in NY and brought it into PA.

You need to contact NJ DMV. I found this on their site, but I'm not sure if it applies to trailers.
If you purchase a vehicle in New Jersey and are not a resident of the state and plan to transport and register it in your home state, you must get temporary registration to transfer the vehicle out of New Jersey state lines.

Visit an MVC Agency to complete an application for temporary vehicle registration (Form BA-49). You will need to provide the title verifying the out-of-state address and proof of insurance. A $5 fee will be applied.

You will be issued a 20-day temporary non-resident registration that cannot be renewed.

Once you get that figured out, you need to find out what type of "proof of ownership" the current own has for both the boat and the trailer. Once you do this, go to the notary you will be using to register these items and let them him/her know what you are doing and what type of paper work you have. They should then be able to tell you what else you will need. FWIW, up until a couple of years ago, PA required a title for proof of ownership for trailers. They wouldn't accept the registration that NY uses or anything else. It was a real mess. They finally got this straightened out, so you shouldn't have any problems. As I stated above, I brought a boat into PA from NY with a NY "In Transit" plate on the trailer. No problems at all.

When it's all done and over, you will be issued a temporary reg. for the boat which is a little round sticker. You will have to wait up to 90 days for a new hull number and the real sticker. Your boat will stand out like a sore thumb if you take it on the water anywhere because of the lack of a hull number. If you take it out of state, you will have a fun time explaining to the officer who polices the water how things work in PA.

Good Luck!

192classic

Recruit

Ok guys here's the deal, he said that he doesnt have a title for the trailer, BUT he does have certificate of origin :) Local notary says thats all i need for the trailer. He's going to the notarized letter before i get there, and on my way home i'll stop at the NJ DMV and pay the 5 bucks for the temporary tag... I was gonna do it tomarrow mornin.... but now i cant.. darn hurricane lol i'll follow up when the smoke clears lol Thanks All

CATransplant

Admiral

Couple of tips for dealing with registration folks, wherever you are:

1. Everyone hates these agencies, so everyone comes in with a big chip on their shoulder. Come in with a smile and a thank you for the person who helps you with your situation. "Hi, I hope you can help me. I just ...(what you bought) and I need to ...(whatever you need)."

2. Go to an office of the agency that's not in a big city. The smaller the town, the more helpful the person on the other side of the counter.

3. Did I say to smile and say please and thank you?

It's amazing what these folks can do if they want to, and even more amazing what hoops they can put you through if they want to.