Best 21' Bow Rider for under $30K?

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class
Relatively new to iBoats but I need help choosing the best bow rider for my family. Been working with the local Tahoe dealer because they are conveniently located but I am not sold on Tahoe boats (based on comments from this forum).

Looking for a 21'-ish bow rider with good power and good reliability. Fish/Ski options preferred, but not required. Of course, style is important too.

Please help me decide between Tahoe, Chapparal, Sea Ray, Glastron, Ebbtide, Stingray, Larson, or Bayliner. What other brands fit my needs?

Oh yeah, I'm location-challenged (central IL) so that complicates things...

Thanks in advance!

pwrplay

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Best 21' Bow Rider for under $30K?

Have a look a the Four Winns H (Horizon series). You can get a brand new H203 (20 ft bowrider with Volvo Penta 5.0sx (220 hp) for around 30,000 retail (expect to get about another 15-20% off that).

Also keep an eye out for new 07 or 08 models, some dealers have inventory left over and would like to get rid of them thus offering you greater discounts.

Good luck with the search.

BMWboatski

Seaman

Sorry but you won't get a four winns for under 30k in that model. Just fact. Try 37k, but you can get the 180 or 190 for 30k or less.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would first go out and pick out the boat you like the best, look at materials, drive options, and features then make your decision. Then go out and find a 1 or 2 year old version of that boat. You will get so much more boat if it is used and most warranties are transferable. I picked up a two year old Chaparral a few months ago and paid literally half of what the dealer wanted for a new one and mine has 5 years left on the drivetrain warranty and a lifetime structural warranty. I could not tell any difference between mine and the new ones at the dealer. Mine had 39 hours on it and was owned by someone who purchased it and then moved and just wanted it sold. The deals like this are out there if you look around for a while and are willing to drive a while to get what you want. You should be able to get what you want for under 25K. If you buy new though you will end up taking a huge hit on depreciation right now.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What is important to you in a boat? Top speed? Smooth cruising? Lotsof space to sit? Fishing? Skiing, Tubing, wakeboarding? So many things to consider - and with $30k of YOUR MONEY to spend we want to spend it wisely!

Superpop gave you great advice for "step 2" once you have a few specific boats in mind - look at the "like new" market - it's full to capacity of boats right now. ew/leftovers at the dealer are sometimes the models folks don't want and neither do you - sometimes underpowered or have the "wrong" options on them or whatever. Some are good deals though.

Have you considered the sportsdeck type boats? Basically bowriders with more space inside. A bit heavier, but very practical boats. If you look at Four Winns "Funship" and Regal "Fasdeck 2200" and SeaRay "Fundeck" (I think) lines you'll get an idea of what these are like. Plenty of others also, just giving you a few to see if the layout is what you'd want.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i am in favor of the deckboats, they are far more versatile.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Take a look at Splendor Boats, just splendor boats dot com...I bought their Platinum series and they are great! They were great to deal with, great price and they will deliver it right to your door. I've had mine for a couple years now and couldn't be happier.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i really like the new Bayliner 205 4.3 mpi also.

chiefalen

Captain

The boat show i was just at had 2 boats sitting side by side brand new, both deckboats, both same motors, and one was 2 years old new, all the warranties and both same trailers.

The 2 year old one was 10 grand cheaper. I can't remember the name i think Hurricane good boats, had a head in in it also.

The point is boat shows are a great place to buy a boat, they slice the prices to the bone, and will deliver it the day after the show is over.

I know 2 guys bought boats at boat shows, and they did the homework , and when we went they were ready to buy, money ready in the bank.

They both bought leftovers from a year or 2 . This economy the way it is, bargain, bargain, bargain with them, and then get up to leave, they will find a way to lower it some more.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the advice. We went with the Four Winns because we got a stellar deal (for less than $30K by the way, contrary to what another poster claimed) and couldn't pass it up. We also got the 320 hp Volvo so the deal was even sweeter than we originally planned for. Some dealers are more desperate than others. We just need the weather to reach 50 on a regular basis so we can launch the freakin' thing!!!

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry but you won't get a four winns for under 30k in that model. Just fact. Try 37k, but you can get the 180 or 190 for 30k or less.

That's not true. I received a quote for a '08 Four Winns 20' for ~25k about 3 weeks ago.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Was that a brand new FW or a slightly used 2008?? Either way - WOW!!!!! With the 320 hp Volvo that may be right up there with the "must have" boats in my mind!!!! Yeah, I think I like their SL series better for bow space, buy.....WOW. GREAT BOAT. Great price. Be nice to that dealer -he's hurting to move product. Go buy a tube from him or something!

You did so much better for yourself than a Tahoe - not ripping on Tahoe, but they aren't 4Winns. As a matter of fact, other than used boats, you may have just bought yourself the "best 21'ish bowrider under $30K" out there - mission accomplished.

I think I need to go sit in a used boat at the dealer now .......

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

Was that a brand new FW or a slightly used 2008?? Either way - WOW!!!!! With the 320 hp Volvo that may be right up there with the "must have" boats in my mind!!!! Yeah, I think I like their SL series better for bow space, buy.....WOW. GREAT BOAT. Great price. Be nice to that dealer -he's hurting to move product. Go buy a tube from him or something!

You did so much better for yourself than a Tahoe - not ripping on Tahoe, but they aren't 4Winns. As a matter of fact, other than used boats, you may have just bought yourself the "best 21'ish bowrider under $30K" out there - mission accomplished.

I think I need to go sit in a used boat at the dealer now .......

That was for a NEW '08. I'm don't recall the power plant but I wasn't looking to spend that much on my first boat. I passed on it.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine was also a NEW 2008 H220 FW (zero hours). I believe the dealer went out of business in December, shortly after we bought it. Like I said, he was desperate. Our boat came with nothing though. We'll need to purchase all new PFD's, anchor, ropes, fenders, etc. But for that price, it was well worth it!!!

BMWboatski

Seaman

Right but you dind't get the H220 frenzy with a 5.7for under 30k, thats just fact. Salmone's quote is not accurate even with the 190 hp 4.3 that boat base price is 32k without anything at all. However FW is probably one of the top bow riders available, def best bang for your buck. Im going to pick up an 03 h200 this weekend. The good thing about the 03 model is its does not have the massive swim platform wich is included in the footage of the newer model. So the 03 has 12 inches more interior floor space.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Paid $29900 plus tax. The boat had been on the lot for nearly a year and the dealer was going bankrupt. His bank probably told him to sell everything, no matter what. I win, he loses...

tomandsuz

Recruit

Sorry to disagree but I just picked up a 2008 H200 for 27k. Brand new. Love it. 5.0 VP 220hp.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

I think the reason the H200 was so cheap was because this dealer had purchased these boats from another dealer that went under. They paid less than invoice and thus can price it lower and still make a profit. Rare deal, I think.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

2009 Yamaha SX120 Jet boat is prety sexy for $31.5k MSRP (you can deal on it)

09bt_sx210_a3_af24c882.jpg

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/boat/products/modelfeatures/488/0/features.aspx

I've got the 23' SX230 and it is lots of fun! Fast, nimble, safe. Can't beat the versatility and features.

dgs119

Seaman Apprentice

there is a 2008 four winns H2100 brand new with warrenty for $28k on craigslist in Seattle WA. Might want to check it out. Don't know if it is to far from where you live.