OMC straight 6 ( 72' Bell Boy ) a few issues....

endneu913

Cadet
Hey guys... thought i would post up my woes... searching for some advice

The engine is a straight 6 GM/OMC block...Got it running pretty well but it wants to overheat when i open it up 2krpm + but then cools down when trolling or idling in the 500-1500 range. Ive replaced the impeller and thermostat ( found a ton of black gunk in there ) All of this helped it to run a bit cooler, but still getting up in the 280 degree range which also makes me wonder what the normal op temp should be ?

Second issue is that the tachometer wont read above 2k rpm... but my butt dyno tells me i was well above that reading... I assume this could be a bad rpm sensor?

Lastly my fuel guage must be taking a hiatus with my tach... one tank reads 100% and one almost empty, but i know that they started with an equal amount of gas ( about 10 gallons) Anyone want to fill me in on how this system works? Are there floats in the tanks that could be stuck?

Thanks for any help! and any basic advice anyone wants to give me on tuneup and performance stuff ( the engine feels a bit sluggish and chuggy )

So far i have:

spark plugs ( waiting for wires)
dist cap, rotor and points
oil change and filter
rebuilt the starter ( flooded and killed the starter trying to restart)
electric fuel pump ( temporary )
rebuilt the carb

I haven't been able to check the timing because #1 cyl wire won't send signal to my timing gun ( so i suspect the wires are feeble at best )

THANKS!