changing leg oil

PlayDoh

Seaman Apprentice
So, since this is "my own" thread, can anyone tell me the 411 on changing the lower leg oil. I've seen the two holes and watched it being done, but I don't know where to get the oil pump, or what type of oil I should use.

I'd imagine its probably all included in the jug, but I don't live in a city so I have to know what to look for before I even leave the house, so I know where to get it, and all that.

Thanks in advance.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: changing leg oil

What engine/drive do you have? There are a few different legs and so a few different ways to fill them....

Edit: sorry, thought I was in the I/O section...

Drain the oil from the leg by removing the lower screw, then the upper (VENT) screw. Fill the leg with new oil, I use Merc High Performance Gear Oil, from the bottom hole until it starts to come out of the VENT screw hole. Put the vent screw back in, then quickly remove the oil bottle and put the screw back in that hole. Use new washers on the screws.....

Engine must be in the down position....

Chris........

PlayDoh

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks achris. I'm still not clear on how to pump the oil in, unless the 'Bottles' have the pump and line built in?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Thanks achris. I'm still not clear on how to pump the oil in, unless the 'Bottles' have the pump and line built in?

You can buy a pump at the same place you buy the oil...