Starter rope eyelet replacement

kglade

Cadet
evinrude 15 hp 1986 E15RLCDE

I need to replace the eyelet that the starter rope passes through to get outside the engine. I have the part number, but how do I get the old eyelet out? It seems like it is pressed in somehow. Is there a trick, or do I just drill it out?

Then, how to insert and fasten the new one?

thanks,
Ken

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starter rope eyelet replacement

I would take a screwdriver and smash in the sides until I could get a pair of pliers to squeeze it enough until it slides out.

That part looks to be pressed in. When you get the new part it will probably be just a tube that slides in the hole and you will have to flare out the other side with some type of tapered tool.

kglade

Cadet

OK, so I got the old one out pretty much as whoopbass suggested. But, I can't find a good flaring tool for the new one. A pipe flaring tool won't clamp on properly. I really need like a c-clamp with a pointed end.

Anybody know of something like this?

kglade

Cadet

Just in case someone else has this problem I wanted to update...

I was able to flare the end of the eyelet using a cone-shaped piece of metal and a c-clamp. Now, though, the eyelet is loose in the hole, so I will have to epoxy it in. I can't think of a way to expand the inside diameter enough to make it an interference fit.

BTW, the cone-shaped piece of metal was the top of a fancy wine bottle stopper.

Xcusme

Commander

Since you have the C-clamp, why not try the pointed insert from the center bolt of a flywheel puller. My puller has a variety of tapered 'tips' for different shafts.