hull repair

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: hull repair

I'd answer your question, but I'm stunned by the overall condition of the boat. How much time and money are you really prepared to spend on what will be a complete hull and engine restoration? There are signs of some serious water intrusion inside, and the whole deck needs to come up to see the extent of the damage.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

wow, all I can say is good luck. If you get it repaired I'd like to see the update.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Man oh man. The name on the transom says it all......:eek:

Good luck, and we have some great posts of some serious projects on the forum. Use our search function for hull and deck repair to get a start.

I hope the boat has some special significance, I agree with whaler. You have a really big project on your hands, and if you do the work, keep us updated.

rc3477

Cadet

I would use fiberglass mat and then thickened epoxy from the outside to add more strength. Don't let the comments get you down as long as you know whats ahead the repairs can be done. It'll cost you though. I was in the same position.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

What do you want to know about ?

The hull looks to be repaired already.

Sanding ? Tinting the fairing compound ? Spraying Gelcoat ?

?

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope you love that boat now, because soon you wont. Dont get discouraged though, when you finish you will have something to be truly proud of. Keep us posted.

boston_jake01

Seaman

What do you want to know about ?

The hull looks to be repaired already.

Sanding ? Tinting the fairing compound ? Spraying Gelcoat ?

?

It appear that the repair were made right over the old bottom paint and shows signs of peeling. I got this boat for free and have no predetermined dead line I own another boat so I will still be on the water. I wanted a large boat project and this fit the budget....
I guess I really wanted to know what type of fiberglass ie; tight mat or thick lose fiber mat, and how do I build it up. etc.
thanks for the honest post but don't worry about hurting my feelings I know this will be a great boat when it done.
Rich

Last edited:

boston_jake01

Seaman

I would use fiberglass mat and then thickened epoxy from the outside to add more strength. Don't let the comments get you down as long as you know whats ahead the repairs can be done. It'll cost you though. I was in the same position.

thanks for the advice could you be a little more specific what type of mat and what do you mean thickened epoxy.
I reaaly want to do a good job.
Rich