Mercury Controller Problems

zaper00

Recruit
Hi Hope someone can help me with a controller problem, I?ve got a 2004 mercury 115 hp EFI 4 stroke engine with a controller, not sure which model it's the basic side mounted black box type, free with the engine so I?ve been told.
Ok hears the problem when the controller is engaged from neutral in to forward I have drive or thrust whichever?.From that point thru I guess three quarters there is nothing just a lot of play ,then I get a whole lot of thrust all at once, it?s the same in reverse only nearly throttled out completely before I get any response, ( not so good for controlled manovering ). Boat just back in the water after being at a mercury Agent for a service and the rest allegedly , after a lota cash he tells me that this is normal in that model of engine ? hard to believe? and not much can be done. see the thing is he said the only thing he could find out of place was the cable not in the right connecter it had been connected to the below 75hp connector ??. I?m confident that just after launch the problem seemed to be fixed only to find that the next outing it was back to the same problem. If anyone can help it will me much appreciated.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercury Controller Problems

Without knowing which control box you have it's hard to know exactly what we're looking at... A photo would help...

That said, I know that most of the later Merc controls anchor the cable with a pin on a plate. If the pin isn't located in the throttle lever correctly, then it could give the problem you're describing. Also an incorrect adjustment at the engine end will also give the same problem.

My suggestion is to buy a manual and check it yourself. Please buy the Merc manual. We have a lot of people with solec and cylmer coming here asking for clarification on what the manual is talking about........

Chris........

zaper00

Recruit
Re: Mercury Controller Problems

thanks for the advice today we removed and striped the contoller, i believe it to be the 3000 series. two cables one gear one throttle,seams that there is a lot of natural travel before gear is fully engaged,then throttle can take over,this seams to be UN-avoidable and no adjustment at the box , i hope this can be visualized as I've no pictures.cant check adjustment at the engine as Ive no reference to settings where can the proper merc manual be bought as i cant seam to find one.
Thanks again