Water pump face seal - Alpha 1

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is the seal that slides down over the drive shaft on top of the pump housing. I pulled my lower unit today to find the seal missing. Would operating the boat without this seal have caused any cooling issues? Looking at it it looks like it still would have pumped water ok. I can't imagine why whoever had it apart before did not reinstall it. :confused:

I have a new impeller kit on the way does anyone know if this seal is included in the kit or would I need to buy it separate?

Thanks

sillyocis

Cadet
Re: Water pump face seal - Alpha 1

if it gets "eaten" by the impeller it could have just been pumped out into a different area of the motor . check all your waterflow passages for obstruction if you have any cooling issues at all i recommend.

ejbednar

Recruit

This is interesting, following this thread...changed the impeller today ( it has NEVER been changed---1993 Larson 4.3 LX Alpha1 Gen II)...20 years old, fresh water only, (oh, BTW the original impeller was soft and no wear noticed anywhere) and the "face seal" was not there???. The engine has a bunch of hours but never overheated.
Where did the face seal go.....and is it even needed??
Appreciate a quick response as I'm holding off re-installing the lower unit for a day or two.
Thanks, Ed

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dude, this thead is from 2008, I think you can forget about updates.

If you have a problem, just start a new thread of your own and ask away. Just make sure you include your engine info.