3.7 engine that wont start

civicsi1279

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 3.7 170 engine. i turned the key and nothing. doesnt crank or anything. all the gauges light up. it is kind of like if the throttle was forward. i know the batteries are good. if i jump the starter it fires up runs great. so i know i am not getting power. please help.

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 3.7 engine that wont start

You say that you know the batteries are good, are you assuming that just because all of the lights come on they are good? I would try swapping out the batteries for known good batteries or have them load tested first. Summer heat will kill batteries faster than cold weather. Also the alternator on the engine you are talking about is not the most reliable so you need to test it as well.

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, how did you jump the starter?

civicsi1279

Seaman Apprentice

batteries are brand new insterstate. i have the alternator conversion on it. that is putting almost 13v. when i jump the starter the boat starts. i am getting power when i put the key in start all the way back to the plug but i guess i am not getting power somwhere between that circuit braker and the starter. any suggestions

civicsi1279

Seaman Apprentice

with power probe and also w/ test light touching the two terminals

civicsi1279

Seaman Apprentice

i know it is neutral. i tested the solenoid today with a test light and everything lit up. i am going to try a couple things tomorrow. thanks so much for your help so far