1990 bayliner capri 18ft 90 hp force

brodriguez

Cadet
can someone help me please this motor has good compression all across 130 psi when i fire it up it starts good drives good i can stop it and fire it right up no problem the problem is that when you leave it off for like 30min it has a hard time starting up i have to keep on trying till it gets going then it takes it a while to rev up then it runs good then i can shut it off and it will fire up right away it only does that when it sits for a while any help this motor only has 38 original hrs can it be possible i am flooding while i float around

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1990 bayliner capri 18ft 90 hp force

have you tried priming the bulb when it is hard to start. I have an 85 hp force and I find that if it doesn't start on the first crank after sitting out on the water I prime it and it takes right off.

RRitt

Captain

i had same problem with mine once. it was because the gas evaporated over winter and left 2stroke oil residue in carberator. I bought a cheap can of carb cleaner from autoparts, a small bag of pipe cleaners from drug store, and a few F440906 carb gaskets.took carbs off engine and cleaned them as thoroughly as possible. Engine started and ran like new after that.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

This is the classic description of a bad fuel pump diaphram.
When it leaks out the back side, it leaks into the powerhead and it floods out the bottom cylinder.

Pick up a $18 fuel pump rebuild kit from a Merc dealer, and follow the instructions to install it.

RRitt

Captain

hmmm ... i think I misunderstand some stuff here ...

I kind of read his post as "engine hard to start cold but once warmed up, does fine".

Plus, I thought bad fuel pump diaphram would cause compression to be off on cylinder #1.

so help me out. what am I not getting?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

He says "the problem is that when you leave it off for like 30min it has a hard time (re)starting"

If the diaphram has small pin holes, it will leak over the 30-60 minutes the engine is off, but it will not leak enough to show up on a compression check. Unless it is torn real bad, and then it will not likely run very well at all.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

On a hot shut-down, latent heat will cause some of these engines to slowly boil fuel out of the carb bowls. So: you are trying to start the engine without enough fuel and it will crank until the fuel pump delivers enough to raise the fuel level. Next time it happens, try pumping the primer bulb just like you do on the first cold start. You might also need to put the controls into fast idle to get a reliable start.