Tige Tranny Problem?

Craig_Tahoe

Recruit
I have a 2005 Tige wake board boat with a 5.7 Mercruiser. Yesterday while we were out on the water I shifted the throttle to forward and there was a bang and the engine just revved. I tried reverse and the same thing?? I checked the transmission fluid and it was full and looking a healthy red colour. There was no burning smell and no indication of oil or fluid loss anywhere in the engine compartment. Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks....:confused:

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tige Tranny Problem?

I am with Fishermark . . . Whether it is a v-drive or not a quick check of the tranny's output shaft and flange while in gear and running will tell you if the tranny is the problem or something from there down, it should be turning . . . Is the boat on a trailer now? Are you sure there is still a prop on it?

Craig_Tahoe

Recruit

Yes, its a velvet drive...and yes the prop is still attached. When I turn the prop by hand, (its on the trailer) it is stiff to turn....??

QC

Supreme Mariner

Not a velvet drive . . . is there a V-drive (not Velvet drive despite coincidence . . . ) in front of the Velvet drive or is this boat a direct drive. If the engine is in the middle of the boat, it is a direct drive configuration. If the engine is in the back with a sun-lounge on top, then it is a V-drive. If it is a V-drive, then it is possible the problem is not in the transmission, (velvet drive) but in the V-drive which changes the direction of the output shaft from forward to back.

Basically, most wakeboard boats have the engine in the back to help create a bigger wake, and make for a more comfortable (larger) passenger area. The engine is installed backwards and the output shaft goes from the transmission, into a device that reverses the direction kinda in a V . . . and then prop shaft comes out of it. You could have a failure of the V-drive and still have a good transmission and what you describe could happen. That's why I want to know if the output shaft of the Velvet drive (attached directly to your engine) is turning when you put it in gear. Since the propeller is there, if the transmission turns and the propeller doesn't then we have probably isolated the failure to the V-drive unit. If you have a direct drive, despite the condition of your fluid, you have probably had some sort of failure in your transmission. I guess this could be a simple cable issue, but the fact you heard a "bang" tells me that it is not . . . ;)

Craig_Tahoe

Recruit

Thanks...It's definitely a v drive configured as you have described. The engine is at the very back with the transmission and v drive in front of it. Can I start the engine even though it is out of the water to check to see if the transmission is turning or not?

QC

Supreme Mariner

You need to get water to the thru hull fitting in the bottom or you will fry the water pump impeller . . . If you have the tool for that, then it is OK. You're not supposed to put them in gear for long though as there is a bearing in the strut under the boat that the propshaft goes through (Cutless Bearing). It needs water to it . . . Should be wet, but you could squirt it with the hose just before hooking up the thru hull tool and then just check it quickly without doing any damage.

Craig_Tahoe

Recruit

Thanks alot....your advice is very much appreciated....I'll have to have a look at it sometime this week when I have the time. Today was a write-off, it poured rain all day here...

QC

Supreme Mariner

BTW, if the propeller is not turning you're not gonna hurt the cutless . . . You must get a steady supply of water to the thru hull though. Guaranteed failure if you don't . . .